It’s official. My husband and Friend M. are planning the first ever (well, maybe…I suppose I’m not 100% on that fact) Bakersfield Homeschool Conference. How in the world did this come about? Let me give you the short version.
Back in January, we attended a Winter Encouragement Seminar in Visalia. It was a modest little event, and we loved it. We went with our friends, M. and L., and had a great time. We women spent the drive home talking about how encouraged we were. The men, on the other hand, decided that they could plan a conference, too, only closer to home.
By the time we arrived back in our own town, they had mapped out an entire conference. All they needed were details like a location, a date, speakers, and so on.
Well, now that the details are rolling in, I thought I’d offer them here. I know there are a number of Central Californians reading this blog, and so this will give you the chance to mark your calendar now.
Here’re the details:
- The Where/What/When: The 2011 Bakersfield Homeschool Conference will take place on Saturday, July 9, 2011 at Calvary Bible Church.
- Cost: We’re looking at $15 per family for early bird preregistration. I’ll let you know for sure when all the details are ironed out.
- Can I preregister now? No, because that requires a level of PayPal mastery to which I have not yet attained. But we’ll let you know when that changes!
- Who is this for? This is not just for homeschoolers, but for folks considering homeschooling, or folks who have preschool-aged children and have yet to decide what they are going to do for them.
- Who are the speakers? All of the speakers are from the Central Valley (many of them are from Bakersfield herself), and they will be covering topics like:
- biblical basis for homeschooling
- cultivating peace in your home
- the nature of a child
- creative teaching ideas
- the freedom spectrum: public school to homeschool
- maintaining simplicity
- and more!
Why should I come? Why travel out of town when so much experience and wisdom is available right here? Don’t miss the 2011 Bakersfield Homeschool Conference on July 9!
My husband says: “My hope is that this conference convinces the fence-sitters, inspires the discouraged and supports the parent who feels alone.”
I somehow got suckered into designing and maintaining the blog for this event. I made the mistake of letting them know I was able to do such things. I’ll let you all know when it is up and running. Once it is going, we’ll post speaker bios, announce details, and offer online preregistration.
Are you new to CM?
Or just in need of fresh inspiration? When you subscribe to Newbie Tuesday, my free monthly Charlotte Mason newsletter, you'll receive the first issue -- all about narration -- instantly in your inbox!