Uncategorized

Happy Birthday, E.!

May 25, 2006 by Brandy Vencel

Four years ago today, God intervened in our life and gave us a son. He made us parents. And May 25th never goes by without me thinking about that fact. All the birthday planning and indulging {so far we have played in three different backyards, and the day is only two-thirds finished!} has never blurred the fact that this is not only a birthday, but also an anniversary of an event that changed our lives.

I think this is why there are always “more” pictures of the firstborn than the others. It is because the parents are documenting themselves, not just the child. Just as little A. made E. into a brother {whether he liked it or not!}, E. made us parents. Her birth was more significant {in some ways} for him than for us, because she gave him a new role to play in life.

Si and I have looked back in awe many times and wondered at God’s mercy on our lives, to give us a son, in spite of ourselves. How true is the Scripture that says, “Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,/The fruit of the womb is a reward.” We feel very fortunate, indeed!

And so I felt like today, this fourth anniversary of my motherhood, might be a good day to announce the real reason I haven’t blogged much in the past two weeks:

• Reply Brandy May 26, 2006 at 4:00 pm

Well, if you want to get really gross, I will tell you that *ahem* urinating on a stick can tell you lots of things…like if you are ovulating, or if you are entering menopause, among other things. Wow. 🙂

Thanks for all the congratulations, girls!

• Reply Grace May 26, 2006 at 3:54 pm

Yeah, that would be weird if that was the stick from back when they found out they were pregnant with E! I thought that at first the post is dedicated to E’s birthday! Glad it wasn’t! But isn’t it weird how peeing on a stick can tell you if you are pregnant or not? It’s weird to me!

• Reply kristie May 26, 2006 at 12:58 pm

No, I’m a girl, and I still see a pee stick! =) I confess, my first thought was “Gross!” (in my Napoleon Dynamite voice), but then I read the post and said, “Oh my gosh, she’s pregnant again!” (I had thought this was reminiscent of E.’s conception on his birthday.) This is why reading is important.

Anyway, congratulations! I hope all goes well for you and the baby!

• Reply Josiah May 26, 2006 at 5:16 am

To all you gals, you see a symbol of fertility. I see a pee stick. Yuck!

• Reply Rahime May 26, 2006 at 5:12 am

Congrats to all of you!

• Reply Grace May 26, 2006 at 3:07 am

Congrats Bran! I’m so excited for you! A new baby for me to buy things for! I love it! See you in two days!

• Reply whimsy May 26, 2006 at 12:22 am