Ahem.

July 6, 2010 by Brandy Vencel
    This actually looks decent…
    because the graffiti doesn’t show!
    We interrupt this regularly scheduled self-inflicted reading regimen to bring you…Bunk Bed Redemption. That’s right. Friday night, I scored possibly the ugliest set of bunkbeds you’ve ever seen. I bought them off of Craig’s List for $40, and my husband is already questioning my wisdom, seeing as we have spent all of our spare hours this weekend sanding like maniacs.
    And we’re not done, folks.
    But that’s okay. I promised my man one to two hours per day on weekdays until they’re done. I am hoping to make him admire my commitment to see the job through.
    Bunkbeds with drawers underneath!
    (I am not famous for seeing jobs through.)
    In my head, I can see them when they are finished. They are all white with wicker detailing and the drawers have pretty silver handles.
    The plan
    Goodness, I hope that my imagination and reality work together on this one.

• Reply Rahime July 8, 2010 at 1:51 am

I love craigslist furniture.

• Reply Kimbrah July 8, 2010 at 12:57 am

I figured that was part of it Brandy, I was just teasing you. πŸ™‚

I am hoping to find the perfect bunk bed- twin on top, full on the bottom with a full trundle pull-out underneath, then we can fit all the boys on one piece of furniture in one room. I am so totally kidding! πŸ™‚

• Reply Jennifer July 7, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I so admire your resourcefulness! I can’t wait to see the finished product. There is such a satisfaction in seeing the fruit of your hands in use by those you love. Press on toward your goal, sister πŸ™‚

• Reply Brandy Afterthoughts July 7, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Rebecca,

Thanks for the encouragement! I certainly hope you are right. Of course, I know if things go wrong, my husband can do this, or at least help me fix what I did wrong. πŸ˜‰

Kimbrah,

I know, but I wanted the girls to have a pretty room, and their dresser and shelves are white. It was hard to capture in pictures how totally gross these were–I am pretty sure no one ever cleaned them since they made their debut in 1983–grime, soda spills, nail polish splashes, plus graffitti, of all things! All of that to say, even if they had matched what we already had, I probably would have redone them anyhow, just for sanitation! πŸ™‚

GJ, Please don’t admire me. It is ambition which gets me into trouble–biting off more than I can chew! But yes the money-saving! Goodness. I think I finally realized that I have spent years vainly hoping to save up and buy the perfect furniture, and it wasn’t working. But if we buy used and invest our effort, we can afford to have something aesthetically pleasing. I was looking around and white wooden bunkbeds run between $300-$1,000 new (the $300 ones being much plainer than what we have here), and we are spending around $100 including the refinishing supplies, much of which we hope to use again in the future (because my husband and I need bedroom furniture someday). Craig’s List has been such a blessing for our family so far!

• Reply GretchenJoanna July 7, 2010 at 2:03 pm

I do much admire your ambition. I long ago lost the ability to finish such projects myself, but I am still tempted to start them because of the money-saving possibilities.

• Reply Kimbrah July 7, 2010 at 5:56 am

I’m so lazy I would have left them as is and patted myself on the back for scoring bunkbeds for $40! πŸ™‚

• Reply Rebecca July 6, 2010 at 6:24 pm

You can do this, Brandy! I have confidence in you. I think they will look great once they are sanded and painted.