Home Remedy: Warts

August 26, 2010 by Brandy Vencel

We interrupt this regularly scheduled blog post to bring you…a home remedy for warts. Do not–I repeat–do not run to the doctor, wasting numerous precious homeschooling hours plus gas money plus copay until you have tried this. (As an aside, does anyone else find it amusing that my child with a wart is my child who loves frogs with all her heart?)

Ahem.

As I was saying, all you need are supplies you should already have on hand.

I read about this remedy years ago, but I’ve never had an opportunity to try it, so I was a little excited to see a wart on a little one’s finger.

Here is what you need:

1. Apple cider vinegar (if you do not keep ACV in your pantry, repent! ACV covers a multitude of sins is very useful)
    2. Cotton ball or something similar
    3. Tape (the type you’d use to hold a bandage to skin)

That’s all.

Before bed, take the cotton ball and soak up some apple cider vinegar and tape it to the affected area. Leave it on all night long. Remove in the morning, and repeat every night. Or, if you are me, you forget half the time, so repeat most nights. Either way, the wart will first turn black and then eventually fall off.

After it falls off, don’t give up. Apply the same at least two more times. There will be a little cavern left in the skin, and there still might be some cells in there. Those will turn black, too, if there are enough of them. Either way, you want to kill them so that you don’t have to do this again.

And that’s all. In a week or two, everything will be fine, except for the child’s quilt smelling like vinegar.

Let’s leave the doctors to more important things.

• Reply Mystie August 27, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I will have to try this on my son’s viral worts that the internet and my nurse friend say “should go away on their own in 6-18 months”! They are small and they spread. One son’s went away on their own within 6 months, but my other still has them (some have come and gone) 8 months later.

Hey! Lose weight chugging a shot of ACV a day?! Why not try it? πŸ™‚ It seems pretty painless and harmless if it doesn’t work. πŸ™‚

• Reply Wendi August 26, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Oh…and while we were visiting family on the west coast this summer, my uncle told me that he drinks organic ACV everyday to help his arthritis πŸ™‚

• Reply Wendi August 26, 2010 at 7:05 pm

My dd6 has had a wart on her thumb for over a year now…we have been waiting patiently for it to fall off by itself but we’re growing impatient. I heard about ACV being a treatment for warts…I’ll definitely have to try it now!

I also love diluted ACV for hair conditioner πŸ™‚

• Reply Brandy Afterthoughts August 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Tracy, I hope it works as swiftly for you as it has for us!

KM, Mmmmmmm…pie crust. πŸ™‚ Let’s see. I use diluted ACV as “conditioner” for my hair. It makes a good ingredient for salad dressings. It is said that giving a “shot” of it each day to animals or humans has many health benefits (some people lose weight doing this, and diabetics find it helps with gout), though there is debate over whether or not it is as effective when it has been pasteurized (most store brands are). You can mix ACV with baking soda to form a paste that will often cure or speed up the healing of skin infections like staph boils or infected hairs. You can even put it on a cotton ball and use it as a facial cleanser.

I love my ACV. πŸ™‚

• Reply Kansas Mom August 26, 2010 at 6:12 pm

Well, we always have apple cider vinegar because it is an integral ingredient for our favorite pie crusts. Which we make once a year, if that, so there’s always half a bottle lying around. Tell me…what else is it good for?

• Reply Tracy August 26, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Oooooo, I can’t wait to try this. Yep, I have all the ingredients.
    My harp player is very embarrased with warts on her lovely fingers but does not want to go back to the doctor to get them ‘burned’ off. I will start right away.
    Thank you , thank you for the advice.