About midway through summer, I got bored with my summer menu (which is always weak, I think) and so I started changing things up a bit. Now, I have a pretty decent collection of new dishes I’ve tried, and since I haven’t read anything interesting lately (unless you count the Ambleside Year 3 Weekly Reading Schedule, which is permanently etched in my brain), I thought I’d share.
Or, at least, I thought I’d share what I remember.
- Meatza! I am not kidding. This is a low-carb pizza variation that I tried in honor of my father’s birthday (he likes his protein), and now we’re totally hooked. Of course, I think I’m adding carbs back in when I drop in that 1 or 2 cups of arrowroot powder, but we like it better that way, and doesn’t adding in eggs cancel it all out? Think of it as a meatloaf flattened out and topped like a pizza.
- Greek Dressing. I don’t know about you, but we eat a ton of salad in the summers, and I’ve been on the lookout for a standard homemade dressing for a while now. Finally, we have a winner! I leave out the sugar, but if I had stevia on hand, I’d add a pinch–it definitely tastes better with that hint of sweetness.
- Ceviche. I’ve found a store near our house that discounts their wildcaught fish at 2pm. (Guess where I am at 2:15 every Saturday?) I always considered seafood unafforable before, but we’ve been living it up this summer. I made this recipe using Dover Sole, and it was totally yummy.
- Zucchini Cakes. These were excellent, only I took out the breadcrumbs and added in arrowroot powder because I never did get back into the habit of buying wheat products after we had our children’s allergies eliminated. The recipe was no worse for the wear!
- Smokey Ranch Dip. Well, mine wasn’t very smokey because I just used regular paprika, but I topped the zucchini cakes with a gob of this and it was a big hit with children and adults alike! I have some leftover from tonight’s dinner, so I think I’ll serve it up with carrots tomorrow morning for snack.
I’ve also gotten a bunch of lamb shoulder on sale lately, so I’ve been perfecting my lamb dishes, though I don’t really have a recipe, just advice: if in doubt, add more butter. I feel very Julia Child saying that.
Get the (almost) weekly digest!
Weekly encouragement, direct to your inbox, (almost) every Saturday.