The Darndest Things: Something’s Fishy

April 12, 2011 by Brandy Vencel

Why must these things happen to me when my husband is out? How come emergencies don’t happen on his watch? That’s what I want to know.

My husband was at a meeting this evening, and the children and I were finishing up dinner. They requested a chapter or two of Redwall for dessert, and I was happy to comply.

But first I looked over at O.-Age-Two, who was playing with his food.

“Eat your fish,” I said.

It was filet of sole, in case you were wondering. We eat a lot of fish around here.

And then I read, and while I read I could see O. moving his fish around out of the corner of my eye. I really thought he was eating it. Suddenly, E. yells out, “Mom! He’s putting his fish into his ear!”

Sure enough.

So, I did what any normal person would do: I called my father.

Unfortunately for me, my father thinks the whole thing is hilarious.

“Dad!” I say, “we ate fish for dinner, and O. put some into his ear. How do I get it out?”

His reply? Use a fish hook.

Ha ha.

We discuss some options, so I hang up to try them. First, I get some tweezers and pull out what I can see. I was really hoping that it would turn out to be a tiny bit, but no such luck. There was a little under a teaspoon of fish in his ear canal, I would eventually learn, layer upon layer. He had patiently broken off pieces and rolled them into little balls before jamming them into his ear. I got a couple pieces out with tweezers, but I could still see more.

My next attempt involves our homemade ear drops. I don’t notice this helping at all.

So I call my dad back.

He tells me to wait while he googles for suggestions. He thinks ear wax remedies might also work on fish*.

He gets to his computer, does a search and…then he starts laughing. Loudly.

I groaned. What could it possibly be?

“Well,” he says, “it says eating more fish helps.”

Perfect.

*They do.

• Reply Meredith in Aus April 16, 2011 at 12:04 am

Brandy,

That was hilarious! Even better than popcorn up a two-year-old’s nose…

(Hope both he and you have recovered.)

In Him

Meredith in Aus

• Reply Allison April 13, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Hand Vacuum? Hahahahah…too busy laughing…..sorry.

• Reply Mystie April 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm

That’s hilarious, but only because I was not the one pulling fish out of ears with tweezers. 🙂

Ick!

• Reply Kelly April 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Oh my goodness! LOL! Glad it came out all right.

• Reply Charlotte Mason in the City April 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Knowing that everything is fine…this is very funny. Fish in the ear? That’s not a situation many of us are prepared for. 🙂

My dad would’ve reacted exactly as your dad did.

• Reply Silvia April 12, 2011 at 4:42 am

I have only told one soul last Monday when my 4 yr old got up on the climbing ropes, in the next to top layer, and with no one in the park, and no cell phone (my rejection of our culture is not right in this point) and my dislike borderline fear of highs, I had to go up to get her down…I still have a lump in my wrist from the effort.
    My oldest was up and down, telling sister where she could put her feet, and contemplating the scene from the ultimate top layer, unable to get her sister down, and trying not to move the ropes and be quiet as not to add to my anxiety.
    I got my initial panic under control and after I secured her position by telling her to rest on here bottom and hold tight, I finally found a way that took me to my child and with lots of intuition and instinct, I got us both down safe.
    Why did this not happen when the park has children and other grown ups? Wait a minute, there is usually nobody in the parks at school hours anymore.

• Reply GretchenJoanna April 12, 2011 at 4:18 am

I bet it wouldn’t have been as fun (in retrospect, and to blog about) if your husband had been home.