Books Read in January and February

March 8, 2012 by Brandy Vencel

I have read almost nothing, and what I have read deals mainly with four-legged creatures with a penchant for dying on me. But E.-Age-Nine has read quite a bit, and this year I asked him to do something different. I asked him to keep a list of what he reads. I know he reads a lot, and I know he reads quickly {because I don’t allow him to spend too much time reading}. I know what books are available to him. But I’ve never known exactly what he’s been reading, nor which books he chooses to re-read {with the exception of Tolkien and Lewis, both of whom he’s been re-reading since he was six}.

So here is the Official List of what he’s read. I thought you all might find it interesting, especially if you are in need of books for boys around this age.

January Books

Five Little Peppers at School by Margaret Sidney
    The Sword in the Tree by Clyde Robert Bulla
    The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge
    Five Little Peppers and Their Friends by Margaret Sidney
    The Story of Dwight D. Eisenhower by Arthur J. Beckhard
    Lassie Come Home by Eric Knight

I myself am not a big fan of Margaret Sidney’s Little Pepper series, but my son loves them for some reason, so I keep them around.

• Reply ...they call me mommy... March 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

How neat!! πŸ™‚ Writing down some of these titles! Thank you!

PS – Why don’t you care for the Pepper series? πŸ™‚

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts March 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Oh, the writing style sort of grated on my nerves. I read the first one in the series aloud a few years ago, and it was interesting–resourceful poor kids was the basic scenario. It was fine. But I was so DONE with it by the time it was older. I would never want to read the whole series! But he eats it up and thinks the scrapes the boys get themselves into are hilarious. πŸ™‚

There is nothing *wrong* with them, they just aren’t to my taste.

• Reply Mystie March 9, 2012 at 12:20 am

I’m considering a Kindle for school use next year….I’d make the two older boys share it. πŸ™‚ But there are so many good old books that it’d be cheaper to buy a Kindle and download them even for $1-$2 than buy the paperbacks that aren’t that high quality anyway, or scour for old editions, which don’t stand up well to the hard use they get at our house.

Also, I always love a book list! πŸ™‚

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts March 9, 2012 at 3:11 pm

The only complaint I have heard about the Kindle is that the screen breaks too easily…so if your boys are hard on gadgets, it is something to consider. Of course, if you buy them full-price they come with a 1-year warranty, and you can add years to that for a fee. We have friends who went through THREE in that first year, so it is probably worth having a warranty if you are at all concerned about the care it will receive. My son is very type-A, so I didn’t have to worry, but his sisters will not be getting one for a long, long time!

• Reply Bethany March 9, 2012 at 12:18 am

Wow! What a terrific list!

• Reply dawn March 8, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Were most of these on his Kindle? How does he like it?

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts March 9, 2012 at 12:02 am

I’d say between 1/2 and 2/3 were on his Kindle. πŸ™‚ He *loves* it, and it really is convenient to have new books for him that I don’t have to buy. It is like our own little library card, since we don’t have a library anywhere remotely near our home. I am also pleased to see he hasn’t given up real books. That was a fear of mine–that gadgets might crowd out real books, and a lot of our real books are really good ones! πŸ™‚ But he has naturally maintained a balance. In all, it has been a fabulous investment, especially considering that we didn’t pay very much for it in the first place!