Pajama School?

May 11, 2012 by Brandy Vencel

A friend showed up on our doorstep one morning awhile back, and I was still in my pajamas. “I promise I’m not usually in my PJ’s this time of day!” I said. And she made a friendly comment about homeschoolers and pajamas. And we laughed.

And I’ve been thinking about it ever since.

I don’t need to know whether your family does lessons in pajamas or not, but I will tell you that before we began doing school formally, you know, back when I knew everything because I was 24 or so, I always thought that I would never, ever, ever do school in my pajamas because I like to get up and get dressed and I feel so lazy if I still have my pajamas on {unless I’m sick of course}.

That day on the doorstep it dawned on me that we now do Circle Time in pajamas every. single. day. And I hadn’t even thought about it!

Let me explain.

Once Son O. dropped his morning nap, Circle Time became Difficult. He doesn’t like to sit and pay attention. He does like causing trouble in groups. Circle Time was his prime opportunity for wreaking havoc.

So I decided there was nothing left to do but reorganize and regroup. We moved Circle Time to breakfast, and added in a morning walk to wear. him. out. Desperate measures for me, these.

And it has worked.

However, comma, one unintended consequence of those decisions is that I’m teaching Circle Time in PJ’s because I have always gotten dressed after breakfast.

And now breakfast lasts an hour or even more.

I don’t feel lazy, as I expected. It’s just part of our day–part of the routine–and we head off and get dressed afterwards without fail. Circle Time has happened this year, in spite of our Human Obstacle, so I consider it a success, PJ’s or no PJ’s.

All of this is to say that I thought that pajama school would never happen here because I wasn’t the type. But apparently my life, for now at least, is the type.

And I’m okay with that.

• Reply Amanda May 16, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Guess who’s wearing her PJs right now? LOL. I hate using up nice clothes on days when I’m not going anywhere… plus my PJ shorts are much more comfortable on my big ol’ belly right now. But yesterday I just hadn’t gotten ready yet, and had two neighbors and the JWs stop by while I was in my nightgown! UGH.

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts May 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm

You get a Pregnancy Pass, of course. πŸ™‚ You are due next month, right? So exciting!

JW’s always come over when I’m in my Ugly Clothes (like for spring cleaning or something). There they are, on the front doorstep in dresses, rubbing it in. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Naomi May 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Haha! This is hilarious and also very encouraging. I am, conversely, trying to get out of my PJs by 6:30 in the morning. For me, I found that if I didn’t, I could have them on all day long (like when Hubby comes in the door after 5, cringe), or at least not really doing much of value with my day. For some reason, it gets me motivated and the day always goes better, but that’s just me.

I am so very encouraged to hear your comments about the Human Obstacle, LOL! I have one of my own in the form of a 2 1/2 year old and I am working to just go with it. We are getting there and it’s nice to know I’m not the only one. I’ll have a double portion of patience please ; )

• Reply Sara May 14, 2012 at 12:14 am

Okay, so I’m 50 and I’m only in my second year of homeschooling with my 11 year old. I’ve done the corporate hustle – get out the door by 7 AM with a suit and matching pumps and bag – and that’s in the rear view mirror. But I do usually get dressed, brush teeth, make bed and be ready for school by 8 AM.

Funny, the other day, my 18 year old son whose school schedule is a little out of wack since he’s in IB exams walks in the door much earlier than usual and says “Mom! You’re still in your Nightgown! (flannel) aren’t you having school today?” And I cringed.

So, it was nice to get this post! Thanks!

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts May 14, 2012 at 3:06 am

You are quite welcome.

I find there is great variety among homeschoolers so chances are, no matter what your habits, you are in good company….within someone…somewhere. πŸ™‚

• Reply Rahime May 13, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I love the idea of pajama school. I’ve never felt the pajamas=lazy correlation as I’ve always been just as productive in my pj’s (at home of course, I don’t go traipsing around in them) as in daytime clothes….and they’re so much more comfy. At any given time that I’m home, there’s a 75% chance that I’ll be in PJs. Some days, changing out of them is one of the last things I do before leaving for work, and the first thing I do when I get home. Of course, around here people rarely drop in unannounced–there’s almost always at least a text-message warning. πŸ™‚

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts May 14, 2012 at 3:03 am

I think my PJs=lazy association is purely because…well…before recently when I remained in my PJs I WAS lazy! πŸ™‚ It is nice to know I can actually get things done while wearing them.

I still have to be careful in sweats or yoga pants!

• Reply ...they call me mommy... May 12, 2012 at 11:28 pm

While I don’t believe in evolution, this year our school has had to “evolve” like 8 times. πŸ˜‰ LOL. Cute, chubby, fluffy little babies, hubby’s schedule, and daylight savings have made it necessary. πŸ˜€ I completely understand. We do some learning things at breakfast too. I like the idea of just making it circle time…hmm….

• Reply Kansas Mom May 12, 2012 at 2:24 pm

We also start our day during breakfast, but in our case it’s mainly because I finish eating about an hour before the children. Because I don’t like to leave them at the table alone (chaos ensues), I found myself twiddling my thumbs. I started using that time for read-alouds, when I would read and they would listen (not memory work or something which would require them to respond with food in their mouths, incapable as they are of chewing and swallowing before answering a question). It’s quite nice, even if they are all still in pajamas.

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts May 14, 2012 at 3:02 am

I definitely start with Bible reading for the same reason–because some people are still chewing! *Usually* by the time I hit memory work they are done.

• Reply Mystie May 12, 2012 at 3:55 am

I think God providentially conspires life to work this way to shake us up and show us we actually don’t have things all figured out. πŸ™‚ It’s courting upheaval to think one has a surefire plan. πŸ™‚

• Reply Sallie May 11, 2012 at 10:50 pm

We don’t do the pajama thing, but we do school much later in the day than I ever thought we would. I always thought we would get an early start and get the “formal lessons” out of the way so we would have freedom to do whatever the rest of the day.

As it turns out, Caroline takes a long time to get going in the morning. If she watches a couple of episodes of “Curious George” on DVD (the current rave) and then we play together, she is much more cooperative. Formal lessons are really best done after lunch which pretty much flies in the face of all the homeschool expert advice that is out there.

But then Caroline has pretty much defied every bit of standard expert advice out there in pretty much every area. I do what works.

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts May 12, 2012 at 2:45 am

Funny how real life can be so different from our expectations!

I had someone tell me (a CM-er) that if I would move our lessons to the afternoon, I would be able to fit in more outdoor time with my littles. It sounded great, so I tried it, even though that meant giving up my free afternoon time that I love.

Apparently Daughter A. loses her ability to read and do math after about 12:01 pm!

Oh well.

• Reply Trisha May 11, 2012 at 8:17 pm

Love this reminder to work with the unique characteristics of our family.