Home Education

NAET: Your Best GAPS Friend

October 26, 2012 by Brandy Vencel

Before we end our GAPS trial, I want to make sure I write about a few more things. NAET (Nambudripad’s Allergy Elimination Technique) is one of them. We used this technique years ago to eliminate our children’s food allergies. Most of these treatments “held” nicely — we only had one child who turned up allergic to dairy again when we added dairy products (yogurt and raw goat milk) back into our diet.

Unless you go to my exact doctor — I have never heard of any practitioner who does allergy elimination exactly like her, and I think that is because she has actually combined NAET with other approaches — NAET can be enormously expensive because each allergy has to be worked on at a different visit. So, for instance, you do wheat on one day, oats on another, rye on another. My children were allergic to so much that we could never have afforded the treatments.

GAPS really does clear up allergies for some people. I’ve had an allergy to yellow summer squash that I developed in my early adult years and has bothered me ever since. It is easy to grow around here, and I like the taste, so it’s always been a bummer that I couldn’t partake. GAPS cleared it up right away. I was able to eat summer squash at the tail end of the harvest.

But some people hit a wall in GAPS. They simply cannot get past their allergies. If it’s something like summer squash, it isn’t a big deal. It doesn’t impact life very much, and you can choose to live without it. But what if it is a major food? One that some people consider a staple? I mean something like milk or wheat … or chocolate, for heaven’s sake!

Ahem.

Well, this is when I think NAET (or something like it) can come in handy.

I felt like I hit the aforementioned wall with our oldest about a month ago. We had added in new foods, and he was still having issues, but the issues had been sort of up and down no matter what we did. I took him to our practitioner and explained the diet (she was very supportive — it is a lot like the anti-candida diet she promotes for her patients, as well as the grain-free diet she uses for digestive problems) and told her that I was convinced that he was having allergy issues but that no matter how I tinkered with his food, I couldn’t discover the cause.

She humored me and tested him for foods but I could tell she had something else in mind. Finally, when nothing came up, she tested him for three separate samples of local air, from different parts of the city. He tested positive for an allergy to all three. Because these are general samples, rather than a single vial of cotton pollen or almond debris, for example, we’ll never know exactly what was bothering him. The important thing is that she treated him for it, and he began doing better immediately.

Interestingly enough, I had been convinced that his come-and-go stomach ache had to be a food allergy because that was what had caused it when he was little. This same pain disappeared (and hasn’t returned) since he was treated for his environmental allergies. I mentioned this to our doctor and she just said that allergies are more complex than most people realize.

So … this is enough of the anecdote. My purpose in writing this is simply to encourage those of you on the GAPS Diet to at least entertain the idea of allergy elimination as a possible help in the process. I know some people really persevere and do GAPS for years and years, and some people have very serious issues and this is necessary for them. But for families like ours, where GAPS is a way to promote additional healing, but not something needed over the course of years, I think that NAET can speed things up and get you back to a broader diet. I’m not saying that people who have a history of severe digestive issues can or should be eating out all the time, but being able to eat more of a variety of whole foods at home is surely the end goal.

If you are interested in finding an NAET practitioner, you can use their online practitioner locator.

• Reply Caitlin December 17, 2022 at 3:43 pm

I somehow wound up in the very distant past of the Blog- providence? perhaps…. 🙂
    Anyhoo, the link for the NAET provider directory doesn’t work- do you have a newer one?
    Thanks!

• Reply Caitlin December 17, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Hi! Me again- you can ignore my question! I found a provider who seems to keep the most current and is around the corner from my husband’s job. Just in case you’ve learned of good providers out her on the east coast, her name is Dr. Cecelia Yee (Chiropractor in Massapequa, NY). IDK if i’ll go as far as to use GAPS. It sounds overwhelming. Although, if I must, I must.

• Reply Brandy Vencel December 27, 2022 at 4:19 pm

I did just update that link, in case you ever need it. 🙂

• Reply Cathy January 16, 2018 at 10:15 am

Our doctor taught my husband and I how to do NAET treatments at home. This has saved us thousands of dollars, and has been very successful.

• Reply lisa-v December 7, 2013 at 4:57 am

Hey Brandy!

We’ve been plugging away and have worked our way through the intro diet and are now on full gaps. We also did not have any autism here and really just did it cause I know my dh and I have compromised guts from antibiotics/post partum drugs etc. which affects our kids. In any case I know this has been good for our family, aLOT of work, but really good. We’re going to stick with it a while longer and I’ve got another question for you.

We started out taking Bio-Kult and have switched to Prescript. What dosage did you take and how much did you give your kids? The Prescript bottle doesn’t give an easy listing to be able to determine how much is a therapeutic dose as per Dr. Campbell McBride.

Also – how on earth did you homeschool while doing GAPS? I’m so glad I had our term all planned out for my older boys, they just took their list and were able to finish pretty much on schedule, but my younger three have pretty much had the term off as I just can not seem to get a handle on my household – laundry piled up, dishes piled up, veggies waiting to be washed, cut up etc. etc. I love that we’re eating only real food, just having a very hard time pulling it all together – planning would help I know, just too tired at the end of the day to get it done.

Anyhoo, thanks so much for your help & may you have a wonderful Christmas Term!!

Blessings,
    Lisa V in BC

• Reply Brandy Vencel December 11, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Hi Lisa!

You have such perseverance!

Let’s see…so with Prescript Assist I think, if I remember correctly, we started with just a simple fingertip. I mean, they wet their fingertip, dipped it into an emptied capsule, and whatever stuck was their dose. They very sloooowly worked up to 1 capsule, except for our oldest who worked up to 2 per day, as did myself and my husband.

That year, I only had 2 students, so that helped. I cancelled all preschool and kindergarten! We just did second grade and fifth grade. It wasn’t so bad. My oldest is self-directed, so that just left me a couple readings per day with my daughter. We did everything very simply, and it worked out okay. But I was not juggling as much as you are!

• Reply lisa-v October 22, 2013 at 3:54 am

Thanks Brandy,

I was able to finally join the group, so I’ll be searching around there for help 🙂 What did you do when your daughter was vomiting? Did you continue with the next stage as planned & did you keep her on the pro-biotic? How did she do with the food etc and was there any other die-off so violent?

Dh called Costco and talked with somebody there – he was pretty sure our meat would have been fine as it was bought the day after the tainted meat was sold. We knew this, but as the plant was closed down, thought that it may have been missed or something, but Costco actually closed the plant a couple days later as a precaution. So anyway, we don’t think it was that now. After reading a few posts on the GAPS group it seems to me that it was in fact die-off which does make me a little nervous about adding in pro-biotics – could it possibly happen again? (Rhetorical questions 🙂 I’ll be asking the group.)

I think I’ll just continue with the Intro for now and plug along as all 5 kids are feeling better and are somewhat resigned to their fate – checking out my GAPS binder to see what they get on the next stage and wondering how soon they can move on. I’ll be adjusting it a bit – we’ve continued into Stage two, but I’ve added in honey and made creme caramel from the book (egg, water, honey and cinnamon) as well as egg custard (eggs, honey) and crispy walnuts with egg white, honey, cinnamon and ghee as “desserts” – If you eat whatever I give you without a fuss, you can have a little dessert, maybe even in the middle of the meal to keep you going 🙂 slowly adding in fermented foods and cultured dairy. and then we’ll just keep plugging along for 30ish days so that we don’t slow down too much and can continue on with life for now. We’ll see about staying with Full Gaps after that. Did you just go back to normal eating right away? How long did you actually do the diet?

Thanks so much for answering! I really appreciate it 🙂
    Blessings,
    Lisa

I’m scared to add pro-biotics for them right now, but

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 23, 2013 at 10:43 pm

When our daughter was vomiting, I think I did back off the probiotics for a couple days, but I didn’t change our timing. Oh! And I also gave her lots of detox baths — sometimes three per day. Thankfully, with her, it didn’t last very long the first time. It happened a second time a few days later, and that time she threw up only once or twice, and she bounced back the next day.

The way we did GAPS is not what folks suggest, but I knew that we were already close to healing and I was only using GAPS to get us over some final humps. My children did NOT have serious issues like autism. I feel the need to write that as a disclaimer, in case someone reads this comment later on down the line.

Anyhow, we did the Intro phase for 2 weeks, averaging 2-3 days per stage. After that, we did full GAPS for…I’m trying to remember. Probably six weeks or so. After that, I started adding things in here and there, always watching for reactions. It probably took four or five months total from start to finish.

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 21, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Oh, gosh. What was that meat recalled for? I’m so sorry.

I’m going to try and answer all your questions from above, but you can let me know if you think I missed one.

1. I did not contact a GAPS practitioner. We do, however, have a local GAPS support group that is free to attend and supervised by a GAPS practitioner. I don’t know if that is a normal thing, but it might be worth checking into. I found the Yahoo group to be enough support for us.

2. The initial dosage of the probiotic was…well, I emptied out a capsule into a little glass bowl. I had each person lick the end of their index finger and dip it in the powder. Whatever stuck was their first dose. 🙂 I cannot believe how powerful Prescript Assist is. Our “healthiest” child had major die off from just that one dose — vomiting, the whole thing. And she was the one I thought didn’t need GAPS!

3. I’m sorry about the Yahoo group. Yahoo has recently changed their format and it is really buggy. A lot of groups are abandoning it altogether, though that is not true of the GAPS group. I don’t know what to do about your problem with it, though. 🙁

If I were you, I’d be really tempted to go to full GAPS and go back to intro at some future point. That is just me, but it is probably what I would do. IF you were food poisoned, you may need a wider variety to foods to woo your children back into eating.

• Reply lisa-v October 21, 2013 at 2:09 pm

How did you determine an initial dosage for the pro-biotics and how gradually did you increase the dose for your children?

I bought a bottle of Bio-Kult and one of Prescript – thinking that my hubby and I would use the Prescript as we have both had numerous rounds of antibiotics and other medications as children as well as as adults (wow – does that sentence make sense?) and our children would use the Bio-Kult as they have not been vaccinated nor have they had many (if any) rounds of antibiotics or other medications.

I was able to finally request to join the GAPS diet yahoo group last night, but have not had confirmation either way.

I’m sorry to bog you down with so many questions, I’m just so exhausted & there’s just so much info to search through to try to get the answers for my specific situation. Forgive me if it’s too much for you and I totally understand if you can’t answer these questions (because of time constraints or whatever else).

Blessings,
    Lisa V in BC

• Reply lisa-v October 21, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Oh and the “healthy” children have taken baths each day, but with both the 7 & 10 year olds, they ended up vomiting in the tub after soaking for a while, I didn’t have the heart to “force” them to take another while sick. The 10 year old took one again yesterday.

• Reply lisa-v October 21, 2013 at 7:12 am

And to top off the confusion about what caused our issues last week, the hamburger that we had as meatballs on Tuesday night from Costco had been recalled and that plant was shut down. I bought mine on October 11th and the re-call was for the 1st – 10th batch, but it’s just to close to the right time period to completely ignore.

Each of my kids have been taking the baths as well, although I don’t know that they’re really necessary… and now I’m kinda scared to start any probiotic supplement with them – I’m thinking of just introducing fermented foods. I added a tsp of whey to everybody’s soup today – that’s the extent of our ferments so far.

I tried several times last night to join the yahoo group through their yahoogroups page, but the silly thing kept deleting all my info when I clicked join. So I sent a blank email to the group and the moderator denied my request to join. I sent an email again with an explanation and a request to be re-considered, so we’ll see.

Did you contact a gaps practitioner or if you did it on your own? I’m thinking it would be a good idea, but man, it’s hard to afford all this good food, let alone paying somebody to talk about it. But, I am feeling a tad bit over my head.

• Reply lisa-v October 21, 2013 at 7:12 am

No, I’m not sure. It hit so hard I pretty much just survived last week and am just beginning to pull out of the backlog of laundry/food prep/tidying/clean-up. a dear friend showed up on my doorstep this morning and ended up folding 4 loads of laundry with my oldest, sweeping my floor & doing all the dishes on my counter. First time I’d seen a clean portion of it in a week 🙂 I was so overwhelmed before she got here I burst in to tears when she asked for an apron to help. thank you Lord for dear friends!

Anyway, all that to say, I’m not positive of anything at this point other than I can’t see how die-off could be so violent in this child as we have had a decently healthy life-style for years. I don’t use chemical cleaners, I make our shampoo, toothpaste (for the 5 & 3 year olds and myself – the others use Colgate or whatever still), I make our laundry soap and our diet isn’t perfect and certainly left alot to be desired, but as much as I could we ate healthy – raw milk, good eggs, grass fed beef and soups made from the bones. Plus, I haven’t even introduced probiotics yet as the Bio-Kult and Prescript hadn’t arrived yet (seeing as we didn’t have major digestive concerns with any of my kids and they seem generally healthy, I wasn’t too too concerned about it and wouldn’t have done a harsh dose anyway),

Basically our version of the GAPS diet on Tuesday and Wednesday consisted of organic vegetables and broth/stock/meat from grass fed beef, chicken & pork. Didn’t seem like it could possibly be that hard on our bodies.

My hubby & I as well as our 11 year old showed no signs of illness (whatever it was) and the 3 year old just threw up the tiniest bit of bile twice and then carried on like nothing happened. My 5 & 7 year olds were both throwing up every couple of hours on Thursday – my 7 year old in particular could not even be moved to the bathroom to go pee without throwing up. My 5 yo improved and hasn’t thrown up since before bedtime Thursday, but the 7 yo was up throughout the night off and on throwing up and into Friday evening. He seemed to be improving and wasn’t throwing up that often, but still. I started to carry him to the bathroom cause he didn’t have the energy to walk there on his own and he still wants me to carry him although he isn’t throwing up anymore and I know he’s on the mend. He’s just so scared of throwing up he doesn’t want to move although I’m sure he’d be fine.

My10 year old was lethargic and didn’t have an appetite at all on Friday, but was awake and dressed at 5:30 Saturday am ready to go to his hockey game with his Dad and the 11 yo. Umm… that didn’t happen 🙂 He still hasn’t wanted to eat much – just a few baked apple slices with ghee & cinnamon, a couple crispy walnuts and then tonight I finally got him to drink half a cup of soup by telling him he could play a computer game if he finished the 1/2 cup.

• Reply lisa-v October 20, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for the update Brandy! We’re having a rough go of it this week – 2 of my kids in particular have been sick since Thursday and I think it’s a virus that’s hit them, but regardless, they’re just starting to be interested in food again, but want nothing to do with soups/stews 🙂 So now I have to figure out how to get them fed. I made rice pudding & one is eating that, but the other’s sense of smell is keeping him from wanting anything right now. frustrating. I just subscribed to the Yahoo group and I’m going to look into a GAPS practitioner. Not sure this is right for all of our family.

I on the other hand needed to lose weight on top of all the other reasons I decided we needed to do this and have already lost 8 lbs. So that makes up for the difficulties. A little. 🙂 I so appreciate your advice and perspective.

Blessings,
    Lisa

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 20, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I’m sorry you’re having such a hard time! Do they have fevers? What I mean is, are you *sure* it is a virus and not a reaction? Either way, the detox baths might help. Add a cup or two of apple cider vinegar, Epsom salt, or baking soda to the tub and have them soak in it. I ended up figuring out which each child did best with. These baths helped us a lot during the intro phase.

• Reply lisa-v October 11, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Hi Brandy,

I’m wondering how you feel about your GAPS experience a year after finishing it – I am planning on putting our family on the diet just after Canadian Thanksgiving (which is this weekend) and my hubby is having some second thoughts after googling “GAPS Experience” and only coming up with negative experiences – a couple posts mentioning Mark Stone (who is a big advocate of carbs and monitoring temperatures and does not agree with the GAPS philosophy)as well as several others that related issues with the low carb aspect of the diet.

Are you happy you did the diet? Have your issues been resolved or have they returned? We don’t have allergies, and |I’m not planning to be on the diet long – I just know the medications I needed to take during my post partum period for three of my kids as well as the medications I took before having kids, the soy milk I fed my oldest – so many things that I think may have compromised our guts that I’d like to spend a month on the intro diet and then pretty much go back to our regularly scheduled healthy diet – with less sugar and carbs 🙂

Thanks,
    Lisa V in BC

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 17, 2013 at 11:21 pm

Hi Lisa! I’m sorry it took me a bit to publish your comment. I’m not accustomed to approving them and so I forget to check. My apologies!

In short, I’m still very glad we did GAPS, and I do think that, here now a year later, I see permanent benefits. I say this especially with our second child, who had the more remarkable improvements in her learning. She has progressed so well ever since GAPS; I am still amazed by it. She is reading the Year Three AO free reads on her own. This is truly amazing because she has never been able to read ANY of the books on her own, and now she is reading the ones that are even in her own year.

I have read Matt Stone, and I don’t know what to think. Sometimes, he makes sense, and then sometimes he seems like he just enjoys being a rebel for the sake of being a rebel. I think the danger with GAPS moms is that we are tempted to think that if a therapeutic diet “works” {i.e., the child shows improvement} then more = better, right? So I’ve met families who have had their children on GAPS for four or five YEARS and there is no way that this is good for them! My husband likes to say that therapeutic diets are important, but not to be the normal diet for a person.

Now, of course, you aren’t planning to do anything like that, but I just think that Matt Stone overlooks the real benefits of therapeutic diets. My daughter is a different kind of student because of GAPS. These days, she eats a normal, healthy diet. There aren’t any restrictions {other than budget–ha!}. But I think if I’d just kept her at the normal, healthy diet and not done GAPS, we’d still be hitting our heads against a wall with her on reading, writing and math–basically all of school.

By the way–I really think that being on GAPS for years is for people who are seriously ill. In our case, we had already made great leaps and bounds, but felt like GAPS would do the trick in clearing up some of the residual issues {which it did}. I think your idea of doing it for a month or so might be perfect.

• Reply Anonymous October 26, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Brandy,
    Thanks for writing this post. You answered a lot of my questions!
    There is a NAET practioner not 3 miles from my home, and she has done a ton of work with NAET, as it lists her course work. I may have to look into seeing her for our son.
    Again, thank you for all of your help!
    Julie

• Reply The Boojes October 26, 2012 at 7:21 pm

If this is the Julie I think it is…I’ll be curious to see what you think after you visit her. 🙂

• Reply Brandy @ Afterthoughts October 26, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Julie, I emailed you! I actually wrote this before I saw your email. 🙂

I hope it goes well with NAET. It has worked so well for us, but I also know that just like all MD’s are not equal in ability and knowledge, I’m sure all alternative practitioners are not, either, so I will pray you found a good one!

And I would loev to hear what you think, too!

{ps. welcome, Boojes…I do believe this is your first comment. 🙂 }