After, Or: I Done Did It

May 1, 2013 by Brandy Vencel

It dawned on me that I never posted an after photo from my furniture project over Easter Break. {I could never be a design blogger, that is for sure!} So today is my big unveiling. Our nightstands have been in use for about a month now, and we’re still loving them. Just having them be the right size–finally, after all these years–is joy enough. But I’m pleased with how they turned out, just the same.

If you recall, these are my before photos:

I spent $90 total on these mismatched but just-right-for-our-space nightstands

And here’s the after photos:

I spent too much time trying to “decide on hardware” only to conclude that my budget was better spent on one can of spray paint {used on the old hardware} instead. You can barely see my lamps in the after photos, but do you see that they are still that rubbed brass finish in the photos? Well, once I took these, I thought they looked terrible, so I used the rest of my spray paint to paint the lamp bases, too.

By the way: Rusteoleum Hammered Black Metal Finish Spray Paint? Awesome! Even I can make it look okay with that stuff.

I really wanted to do Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, but…can you say pricey? The chalk paint would have doubled the cost of the furniture! But it looks like chalk paint, because I used Chalkboard Paint {a fraction of the cost} and waxed it with Miniwax Matte Paste Finishing Wax {also cheap}. I stuck the paper to the drawer front with good, old fashioned Mod Podge! Plus I have leftovers from all of this for future projects.

In all, it was a fun project. I would definitely do it again. I had always wanted to try decoupaging furniture, and I figured this was my big chance. I can paint over it in a few years if I tire of it, right?

This post is linked to the Hidden Art book club.

• Reply Woman of the House June 26, 2013 at 1:56 am

Painting the nightstands and adding the decorative paper made them look like a set. They look fantastic! I didn’t know chalkboard paint came in an array of colors. That’s good to know.

• Reply Heart's Home May 19, 2013 at 12:34 am

Did you sand them before painting? I have some cheap bookcases from Target that are veneer — so thin — over pressboard and I wonder if I could do this to them — just the black paint without much sanding — just rough the veneer? hmmm … the bookcases are so ugly, but I’m fine with that in this season. (Anything that will hold books around here is appreciated, you know?) … {Patty}

• Reply Brandy Vencel May 19, 2013 at 1:45 am

No sanding! That is why I chose chalk paint–very. little. prep. It has to be very clean, so I washed them down with water and then dried them with a clean, lint-free towel. But that was all. The Rustoleum brand of chalkboard paint is tintable up to 12 different colors, so you don’t have to stick to plain old black if you don’t want to. πŸ™‚

• Reply walking May 10, 2013 at 1:06 pm

I would love to see a shot of them next to the bed. WOW!

• Reply GretchenJoanna May 7, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Very clever and inspiring! I just love the thought of MY book stack being in a drawer…it’s not the sort that looks at all good on my nightstand. It’s very special that you have unique and matching chests, that YOU recreated.

• Reply hsmomino May 2, 2013 at 12:48 pm

beautiful! You’ve shown us just how we can get creative and bring out the beauty. Well done!

• Reply Jeanne May 2, 2013 at 7:30 am

I adore these. So tell me. Who gets all the extra drawers! You or him?

• Reply Brandy Vencel May 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! πŸ™‚

For the first time in my life, my book stack is in the top drawer, along with my pens and notebook. πŸ™‚ As much as I love the look of a book stack out in the open, my youngest constantly bothers the stack in my room for some reason, so it has been nice. Out of sight, out of mind, as they say.

• Reply Linda May 2, 2013 at 3:16 am

What lovely works of art!

And thanks for the giggle – “I done did that!” πŸ˜€

• Reply Hollie Dermer May 1, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Great job! They are so pretty.

• Reply Melisa May 1, 2013 at 9:39 pm

It looks fabulous and the dresser looks like it is smiling. I like that!

• Reply wayside wanderer May 1, 2013 at 8:39 pm

Great idea and they turned out very pretty!

• Reply Cindy Rollins May 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Where do you get the paper? Is it just paper or wallpaper or wrapping paper or something fancier? I have a lot of mismatched furniture and I see a slight ray of hope.

• Reply Brandy Vencel May 1, 2013 at 8:49 pm

This particular paper is called “decorating paper” and it’s like thicker wrapping paper. It even comes in a big roll like wrapping paper. I was originally looking for wrapping paper when I came across this pattern at eyetalia and fell in love. πŸ™‚

I have seen instructions for using scrapbook paper, which of course has a lot of options, but my drawers were wider than a scrapbook page and I didn’t trust myself to match it up correctly! πŸ™‚

Of course, painting everything black or antique white is also an easy fix!

• Reply dawn May 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm

Great job!

• Reply Mystie May 1, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Awesome! That definitely counts as hidden art. πŸ˜‰ You made them look lovely!