A Schedule for Shakespeare

September 5, 2013 by Brandy Vencel

It’s probably late for most of you, but I just thought I’d share my twelve-week schedule for reading Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night, in case you are interested. I’ve found we do much better if we read the children’s version first, so we’re using Lamb’s.

Week Reading
     Act 3, Scene 4
     Act 4, Scenes 1 & 2
     Act 4, Scene 3
     Act 5, Scene 1

Enjoy!

• Reply Trisha September 7, 2013 at 5:14 pm

We start Monday, Brandy, and even though we’ve already started reading Twelfth Night, your schedule is very helpful. Thank you!

• Reply lisa-v September 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thank you so much Brandy!! We did our third term of AO during the summer as we had taken off April & May and I am just scrambling to pull together our upcoming year before we start in a week or so. Last night I was printing off the AO info on Shakespeare and wondering how exactly to put it into practice since this is our first year with the read deal, and I so appreciate your simple and straightforward approach as well as the idea to re-read Lamb’s first!

• Reply lisa-v September 6, 2013 at 4:24 pm

lol – that should be “real” deal. Guess I should have previewed it before publishing πŸ˜‰

• Reply sara September 6, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the reading plan!

Yesterday, we had our first afternoon meeting of our little tween group πŸ™‚ Shakespeare was scheduled last. Since I had already read aloud about John Singleton Copley, and Franz Joseph Haydn, rather than read the Lamb, I gave a brief but spirited synopsis, and read Orsino’s famous speech, “If music be the food of love, play on…” That was it, because everything else (picture, composer, hymn & folksong) took about an hour, and I was informed that we *must* have tea time(!) before moms came. πŸ˜‰

I appreciate your time and sharing! This will help me tighten up our schedule! In future, there must be room for tea *and* Shakespeare!

• Reply Brandy Vencel September 6, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I love that you gave a “brief but spirited synopsis”–I had to laugh! I wish I knew the plays well enough to do something like that, but alas I need Lamb as much as my children at this point. πŸ™‚

• Reply Kelly September 6, 2013 at 1:23 pm

We’re going to read Twelfth Night as soon as we finish our current Plutarch biography. It’s been a couple of years since the younger ones heard the Lamb’s version, so we should read it first. Thanks for the reminder!

• Reply Victoria September 6, 2013 at 1:19 am

That’s basically what we do as well — the pre-reading of Lamb’s, then the actual play. Then I read the play with my older daughter (Y7), while my younger daughter (Y4 who is not a strong reader yet) listens along. Although I usually just set the timer for 15 minutes, then finish whatever scene we’re on. We typically don’t have any problems making it through the whole play in a term.

• Reply Anonymous September 5, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Brandy,
    Do you use the Folger’s version? Or any of the versions any different?
    Thanks!
    Julie

• Reply Brandy Vencel September 6, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Okay, Julie, I feel so ignorant. I do not know what Folger’s versions are–so I don’t even know if I am using one!

I have a Barnes and Noble leatherbound copy of Complete Shakespeare {with which, naturally, I am in love} and so I am reading from that. My son has Wordsworth Poetry Library Complete Shakespeare and guess what? The formatting is identical and so the page numbers are the same, which is highly convenient.

None of this probably helps answer your question though. Sorry. πŸ™

• Reply sara September 5, 2013 at 10:35 pm

YES! This is our first year doing the actual plays and were having a bit of a hard time until we reread the story. Suddenly there was understanding.

• Reply Brandy Vencel September 5, 2013 at 8:56 pm

It *is* part of our Circle Time. On the day that I’ve scheduled it, it’s the last thing we do. So when it is Lamb’s, they stay and listen. When it’s the real deal, they are allowed to stay if they wish, but they are also allowed to leave and go work on their chores. Today, they all left. πŸ™‚

Oddly enough, it is my preschooler who usually prefers to stay!

• Reply Jen September 5, 2013 at 8:35 pm

How exactly do you do Shakespeare Brandy? Do you just do it with your oldest (who I think is your only one who is Year 4 or higher, right?), or is it part of your Circle Time? We’re reading Nesbit as a group right now (even my younger ones enjoy listening in to these, so I put them into Circle Time), which is fine for us at the moment, but I am thinking ahead a bit about how we’ll handle this when my oldest gets to Y4, since the younger ones will only be in Y1 and 2 that year.