A Boy’s Year in Books

January 13, 2014 by Brandy Vencel

My older son started keeping an annual list of the books he reads on his own time a couple years ago, and every January, I have such fun going through it with him and learning what he’s read and hearing about his favorites.

This year, he read 71 books. He told me I could type the entire list up and share it with you all, at which point I suggested he pick his top five or ten.

He picked ten and tried to sneak in a bonus, but I declined.

I love reading lists like this because I forever want to know what books work for girls at seven or boys at nine or whatever. Not that I divide our library into girl and boy books! But still, the lists of favorites are often quite different.

So this is a list for an eleven-year-old boy.

This list contains affiliate links.

I’m not giving these in any particular order except that his Book of the Year is at the very end.

1. The Silmarillion
    7. The Mysterious Island
    by Jules Verne
    8. Built to Last
    by David Macaulay
    9. The Story of the Trapp Family Singers
    by Maria Von Trapp

And…The Book of the Year!

10. Falcons of France
    by Charles Nordhoff

• Reply GretchenJoanna January 18, 2014 at 11:23 pm

Along Came a Dog is one of my favorites, too! The first time I read it, it was to my grandsons, almost 10 years ago. And Pastured Poultry Profits – if your 11 yr old is reading that, there’s no telling what he’ll be doing in a few years. Thanks to him for sharing his list, too.

• Reply Brandy Vencel January 22, 2014 at 7:31 am

I just hope he doesn’t turn the entire backyard into a poultry operation. πŸ˜‰

• Reply Ann-Marie January 15, 2014 at 12:23 pm

What a great post, Brandy! I too have an eleven year old boy and we are always on the lookout for great books, especially coming from another eleven year old boy πŸ˜‰

• Reply Brandy Vencel January 15, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I’m glad you like it! We discovered Jules Verne this year, and that was a Great Success. πŸ™‚

I think AO assigns some of his books a bit later as free reads, but we were definitely ready!

• Reply Patty January 13, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Great Post. I have an 11 year old son doing AO year 5, so this list sure is good to have. The Poultry one took me by surprise, but thinking about it made me realize that this is just the sort of book that my son might be interested in. He’s a “lemonade stand” and “car wash” kind of boy.

Patty

• Reply Brandy Vencel January 15, 2014 at 3:14 pm

So, you are raising an entrepreneur, hm? πŸ™‚ He probably *would* like Salatin!

Last year, E read another of his books…the name escapes me right now. But it took him for.ev.er. because it was the first real “adult” nonfiction book he’d read that wasn’t sciency. He still fell in love with it! He likes raising our animals, so that helps, too, for him to see them in terms of their economy and not just how fun or cute they are. πŸ™‚