Home Education

The Burgess Animal Book for Children Coloring Page Collection

August 21, 2014

I made you a present. Actually, I made it for Q-Age-Seven, and then thought wouldn’t-this-be-fun-to-share?

And I think it would be.

So I’m sharing.

Basically, I made a chart. This year, Q-Age-Seven is reading through The Burgess Animal Book for Children. For various reasons, A-Age-Nine never formally did this book. When E-Age-Twelve did this book, he was Officially Against Coloring. So I never did the coloring pages thing.

But Q-Age-Seven adores coloring and thinks that makes the book more fun. So we read, and then she colors these pages, trying to make them look as close to Real as possible.

This chart, then, has the chapter from the book and the animal{s} introduced in the chapter. Each animal’s name is linked to a coloring page I found online that I will either be printing directly, or cutting and pasting into a Word doc and then printing. I would have made you a .pdf file, except that that would be a gross violation of copyright law.

So a chart is the next best thing, right?

And here it is:

Chapter Animal{s}
cottontail rabbit
marsh rabbitvarying hare
arctic hare, antelope jackcommon jack rabbit
gray squirrelred squirrel
fox squirrel, alber and kaibab squirrels
california ground squirrelflying squirrel,
striped chipmunkground squirrel
woodchuck
hoary marmotprairie dog
pikamountain beaver
pocket gopher
porcupine
beaver
muskratbrown rat
cotton ratwood ratkangaroo rat
wood mouse, meadow mouse {vole}
brown lemming, jumping mouse
pine mouse, also a sort of taxonomy tree
which might prove interesting {scroll
down}, rock {pinyon} mouse
house mouse, california pocket mouse,
grasshopper mouse, harvest mouse
common shrew, short-tailed shrew,
marsh shrew
mole, star-nosed mole, hairy-tailed mole,
red bat, little brown bat, big brown bat,
hoary bat
spotted skunkcommon skunk,
hog-nosed skunk
badgerwolverine
weaselblack-footed ferret
mink, otter
marten, fisher cat
red fox, kit fox, gray fox, arctic fox
coyote, wolf
lynx, bob cat
cougar/mountain lion, jaguar, ocelot,
jaguarundi
ring-tailed cat, racoon
black bear
grizzly bear, polar bear
opossum
white-tailed deermule deer
elk, moose, caribou
buffalo, antelope, musk ox
bighorn sheep, rocky mountain goat
collared peccary, armadillo
walrus, california sea lion, fur seal,
harbor seal, elephant seal, hooded seal,
manatee

Q-Age-Seven will likely want to color every. single. animal. on this list. She’ll have to finish up on her own time, because I’m not going to spend her designated lesson time watching her color. When it comes time for O-Age-Almost Six to do this book, my guess is that I’ll have him pick one animal from each chapter and color it. He likes to color, too, but not nearly so much as Daughter Q.

Anyhow, I hope that you and your little coloring-lovers have a fun time with this!

If you decide you’d rather buy coloring books rather than print them, many of these animals are covered in these coloring books:

• Reply Kristen September 19, 2018 at 5:32 am

Ahhhhhhh – THANK YOU. We just began listening to this on LibriVox and these coloring pages will make a perfect addition.

• Reply Virginia January 31, 2018 at 11:28 am

Thank you for this chart! When I click on the coloring pages, I get an error 404. Is it no longer available?

• Reply Brandy Vencel February 2, 2018 at 12:37 pm

I checked a few of them, and the links worked for me. Is there a specific one that is giving you trouble?

• Reply Jessica January 25, 2018 at 7:50 pm

So. Super. Cool!!! Thank you!

• Reply Janae May 19, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Thank you for posting this!

• Reply Sarah November 28, 2016 at 6:20 pm

Thank you so much for putting this together! My kids seem to be losing their collective mind since we’re on break (apparently we really need the structure of our school days! ?), so I got online to look for Burgess coloring pages since we just finished Y2 Term 1, thinking they might be good time fillers for when there’s “nothing to do.” I should have known you would have something!

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 29, 2016 at 8:31 am

I’m glad you’re enjoying them! 🙂

• Reply Michelle July 21, 2016 at 12:53 pm

I just want to thank you again so much for taking the time to put this together and share it! I just printed off a round for next year for my Y1 and Y2 daughters who will be doing this book together! I find they actually listen and retain much better when they have something to color at the same time! (We tried drawing for most of the first term of this books lessons and i found they got too distracted trying to make their animal drawings “perfect” which proved a frustration, whereas coloring was simply fun and led to better narrations.)

• Reply Becca February 1, 2016 at 11:49 am

Hey Brandy, I noticed your link for the antelope jack rabbit wasn’t working. But I found this link for it!

Thanks so much for compiling this list!!!

• Reply Michelle G January 11, 2016 at 3:11 pm

My kid’s are wanting a picture of Old Mother Nature. Did you find anything for her? I’ve looked but have found nothing.

• Reply Brandy Vencel January 12, 2016 at 6:52 am

I haven’t seen anything, but admittedly I haven’t looked around much. Does your book have any pictures in it? Maybe encourage them to trace her on a piece of paper?

• Reply Michelle January 12, 2016 at 8:27 am

I’ve been using the kindle version, so no. But I did find the book at the library so hoping there will be pictures in there. Thank you!

• Reply Brandy Vencel January 12, 2016 at 9:13 am

Perfect! We have a copy of Old Mother West Wind illustrated by Michael Hague that is just beautiful, so keep an eye out at the library or used book stores or Amazon. 🙂

• Reply This week we have read.. | As I Live and Read October 10, 2015 at 2:46 pm

[…] our lunchtime read-aloud. Everyone loves this, much more so than his Bird Book. I used to print out a colouring picture of the animal each week to go with it, but that doesn’t really work with eating as […]

• Reply Megan October 7, 2015 at 7:17 am

Thank you for this! I just bought the book for my kindergartner, and this chart will be such a time saver!! Do you have problems with pasting the images? Sometimes mine get very blurry. Am I doing something wrong?

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 7, 2015 at 8:40 am

I think I printed a lot of them off of the webpages directly — at the time, at least, there were print buttons on a number of them, and that stripped off any ads or sidebars. I do remember a few that I had to keep at a smaller size because they were blurry when they were bigger…I tried to use only large images, but there were a few where smaller ones were the only viable options I could find.

Glad you’re using it! 🙂

• Reply Karen @ The Simply Blog September 23, 2015 at 7:17 am

Thanks Brandy! We just began Yr 2 and are reading The Burgess Animal Book. My daughter likes to color and draw. So these would be handy to have if she would like to color. 🙂

• Reply Brandy Vencel September 24, 2015 at 8:22 am

Glad you found them helpful, Karen. 🙂

• Reply Nelleke from P.E.I. August 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Thank you for this! My eldest is also “Officially Against Colouring” (Is that an ISTJ thing?), but my second and third children will love this! Pinning now. 🙂

• Reply Jessica January 25, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Ooh! I’d be so curious to know! My only dd6 has *never* been a colorer. Even as a toddler. My husband and I are both ISTJs!

• Reply Brandy Vencel January 29, 2018 at 2:35 pm

Funny. My one ISTJ never liked coloring, either!