Home Education, Mother's Education

Pre-reading: How to Move Beyond Winging It

October 5, 2015 by Hayley Beck
[dropcap]I[/dropcap]n the beginning of my Charlotte Mason journey, I was not a pre-reader. I did not pre-read for my AmblesideOnline Year 1 student last year. But a dear friend really encouraged me to change that and pre-read this year. She enthusiastically tried to convince me that pre-reading would be enriching for me — not just a benefit to my student.

Prereading How to Move Beyond Winging It

I knew what she was saying was valid, but didn’t she know that …

… I was already stretched for time?

… no matter how many times I made myself a cup of tea during the day, I was too busy to drink it — and I often tipped it out cold because I only ever took one sip, if that?

… whenever I did read a book, no matter how interesting, I always fell asleep, or at least felt like I was going cross-eyed?

… if I did actually finish a page without falling asleep, I had no idea what I’d read because I’m just. that. tired?

… it was just plain easier for her! {After all she only had two children and I had five?}

… there are some things that are unreasonable to ask of someone feeling like they’re juggling so much already?

Last year went well without any pre-reading … except for the time I got caught reading out loud to my very tender-hearted and timid six-year-old about a guy who was chopped into four and pinned to a wall in Forty Thieves {The Blue Fairy Book} — and let’s not even get into how that story ended! Oh, and that other time when I read aloud about Queen Boadicea and her two daughters committing suicide by poison {An Island Story}.

There are more times that I was caught off-guard than I’d like to admit, but let’s just pretend those never happened!

A new year always comes with new goals and the desire to do things better. Better sometimes means different or may simply mean with a minor tweaking.

This year for Year 2, I decided I was going to take my dear friend’s advice and pre-read. I wasn’t sure how it was all going to work out, or even how I was going to manage it. After all, I work four evenings a week {albeit from the luxury of my own home} and on my other three evenings, well, I wouldn’t necessarily call those free time. Plus this year, I was adding in a new Year 1 student.

But surprise, guess what? I still only had to pre-read for Year 2 because Year 1 had already been “pre-read” when I read out loud to my Year 1 student last year. I could certainly take a glance at a chapter to refresh my memory, but wouldn’t need to pre-read it, and I knew now to consider skipping Forty Thieves altogether.

My first time teaching Year 1, I sat down at my computer on Sunday evenings to complete my student’s school schedule for the week. It’s essentially the same as what Brandy uses here in excel. After a few weeks, it doesn’t take too long at all. I print it out, and put it on my student’s clipboard ready for the week. Now that I planned to pre-read, I wanted to choose a time that would be effortless to keep. I decided Sunday evenings would work best. To get myself started, I use this format from AmblesideOnline on my notice board near the bookcase, which is in the family area. On Sunday evenings I look at the table, I pull the books that I am pre-reading for that week, and sit down at my desk with said books plus my schedule open in excel.

I used to think I had to pre-read everything — it was an “all or nothing” task. But now I think that it really depends on what a person can cope with. I began by committing to pre-reading two books. After a few weeks, I chose to, out of pure desire, pre-read everything, especially when I realized it hardly took any time at all. At the most, I would say it takes me 2 hours to pre-read and work on school schedules for the week. But, does it even have to be pre-read all at the same time? It seems possible to pre-read one book each evening, or one book before we get on Facebook, or one book before we go to bed each night?

With one of the Year 2 assigned books, The Little Duke, I chose to listen to a Librivox recording because of the French pronunciation. At first, I pre-read it, and then listened alongside my daughter to the recording. But as the weeks have progressed, it has been easier to have my Year 2 student listen independently for 5-7 minutes each time, while I am with my Year 1 student. So now for this book, I pre-listen. After all, I don’t want to miss out on hearing the story, now that I’ve been lured in. So I ask myself: could we busy mamas find more books on Librivox and listen while we prepare dinner, or exercise, or some other time?

Charlotte Mason tells us that when we are reading to our children, we mustn’t interrupt a reading with definitions or explanations. This is something I hoped would not impact my daughter last year. In some ways, I feel it robbed her that I didn’t have definitions set aside before we read, but she is a very advanced independent reader and she did just fine. She rarely interrupted.

This year, however, I have noticed it is imperative for my new Year 1 student to be given definitions of new words before we begin a reading, otherwise she does stop to ask. By taking a couple of moments to glance over a chapter of a Year 1 book, I can cover many unfamiliar words, and that is all I really need to do in pre-reading for her. I write in pencil at the beginning of the chapter a word and its meaning. Almost effortless!

In Miss Mason’s Home Education {Vol. 1, pp. 232-233} she writes:

Method of Lesson. — In every case the reading should be consecutive from a well-chosen book. Before the reading for the day begins, the teacher should talk a little {and get the children to talk} about the last lesson, with a few words about what is to be read, in order that the children may be animated by expectation; but she should beware of explanation and, especially, of forestalling the narrative. Then, she may read two or three pages, enough to include an episode; after that, let her call upon the children to narrate, — in turns, if there be several of them. They not only narrate with spirit and accuracy, but succeed in catching the style of their author. It is not wise to tease them with corrections; they may begin with an endless chain of ‘ands,’ but they soon leave this off, and their narrations become good enough in style and composition to be put in a ‘print book’!

This sort of narration lesson should not occupy more than a quarter of an hour.

The book should always be deeply interesting, and when the narration is over, there should be a little talk in which moral points are brought out, pictures shown to illustrate the lesson, or diagrams drawn on the blackboard. As soon as children are able to read with ease and fluency, they read their own lesson, either aloud or silently, with a view to narration; but where it is necessary to make omissions, as in the Old Testament narratives and Plutarch’s Lives, for example, it is better that the teacher should always read the lesson which is to be narrated.

How can we engage with our children and talk about what was read last time and facilitate “a little talk in which moral points are brought out” if we do not pre-read and do not know what our children are reading?

Might I nudge you to do some pre-reading, as my friend Christa did for me? Perhaps take at least one book and pre-read it for your oldest student? If you’ve never pre-read, and you have multiple students, you could consider taking one book each week for each of your students. The interaction and dialogue I have with my daughters because I know what they’re reading is so enriching — not to mention I am able to ascertain how well they’re narrating {after all, these are formative years}. The dialogue I am able to have is a gift that nurtures our teacher/student relationship as well as mother/daughter. It’s delightful to playfully tease my students when we start our week and say something like, “Oh, I can’t wait to hear your thoughts after you’ve read The Little Duke this week!”

To quote Susan Schaeffer Macauley {on another topic, but it applies to this as well, I think} in For the Children’s Sake:

Where to start? How? Parents need to evaluate their priorities. They need to consider why they respond, “we wouldn’t have time to read a book together every day. We don’t have time to hike/camp/paint/talk with our children.” What is really important? [snip] There has never been a generation where children have so desperately needed their parents’ time, thoughtful creativity, and friendship.

• Reply Summer Pre-reading | Living Stones Academy July 20, 2016 at 8:47 am

[…] will be smoother and the children will learn more. I gained a lot of encouragement in this from an Afterthoughts post, and for scheduling with Charlotte and AO I love what I learned both from Brandy Vencel  and from […]

• Reply Jennifer October 11, 2015 at 10:47 am

This is so timely for me….just last night I pre-read one of our history readings, and I thought…”I should do this all the time!” I feel like I will have time to digest the content and therefore be able to be much more prepared for our discussion of the reading. This encourages me even more.

• Reply Hayley Beck October 11, 2015 at 11:17 pm

It possibly is that your own pre-reading was the greater encouragement to you! Thanks for sharing your first hand experience.

• Reply Amber October 6, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I know that the conversations I have with my children are so much better when I am able to pre-read (or post-read quickly before they narrate *ahem*) and I am totally convicted that it is well worth my while. Do I manage to always do it? Last year, yes, I did really well. This year… well, we’re on week 6 and I’m limping along. I’m doing well with my Y4 student, but I’m woefully behind with my Y8 student (I don’t pre-read for my Y2 – I’ve read most of the books already – some more than once – and I’m ok with not pre-reading the one or two that remain as I’m reading them all aloud and I am very good at editing on the fly!). Next week is a rest week though and I’m planning on catching up and reading week 7’s readings as well so I can start the second half of the term on the right foot.

Thanks for the encouragement, it is definitely a worthwhile endeavor!

• Reply Hayley October 6, 2015 at 10:03 pm

I’ve heard those upper years can be challenging to keep up with pre-reading.

I love your idea to post-read prior to a narration. Good suggestion for when life is topsy-turvy and you just can’t get to pre-reading.

• Reply Amber October 11, 2015 at 8:56 am

Yes it changes a lot in the upper years – to try and keep up with my Y8 student I need to be pre-reading 15-17 readings a week, and for my Y4 it is only 4 readings. I still have a couple books I am reading aloud to my Y4 student, so I don’t pre-read those. That’s a lot of reading!!

It is so worthwhile though for both years – Y4 to gauge the correctness of the narration and to help w/ the narration, and Y8 to be able to have real discussions with her about what she’s learning. What 13 year old wants to be stuck alone encountering all these wonderful ideas and have no one to talk to about them – or only be able to have superficial discussions because no one else is familiar with the details?

• Reply Hayley October 11, 2015 at 9:38 am

Amber, such wise words, so very well said!

• Reply Renee October 6, 2015 at 11:53 am

I never pre-read last year for my 5/6 yr old. I found myself also coming upon words that I didn’t know how to explain but a little pre-reading would have helped me a bit to give that quick answer. This year I am pre-reading at least a chapter ahead and it helps me to know what is coming up as well and read out loud more fluently, which makes the story more enjoyable for all since I am not tipping about the words.

• Reply Hayley October 6, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Renee, that’s all I ever pre-read ahead as well, just a chapter or whatever is assigned for that week’s reading. I agree with you- the dictionary is so much better at giving me definitions than me trying to come up with a definition on the spot.

• Reply Brittney McGann October 5, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I just read that portion of Home Education last week and decided it was time to preread and then allow my year 2 student to read more of her lessons independently. The timing of this post is encouraging! I can already see that it will be much easier to read separately than trying to read everything together, amidst the distractions of two younger siblings.

• Reply Hayley October 5, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Ah the joy of two younger siblings! Brandy encouraged me to have my Year 2 student read independently just a book or two at first, and also encouraged me to always at least read one book out loud until the end of her schooling. It really does make school a little easier when you have an independent reader. Drop us note back here on this thread to let us know how the transition goes for your Year 2 student and of course, Mama.

• Reply Glenna October 5, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Wholeheartedly agree! Pre-reading is very important AND fun!!!

• Reply Hayley October 5, 2015 at 7:41 pm

It is so important and fun! I found myself reading ahead, and could absolutely relate to my Year 2 student wanting to read ahead. I know how she feels! Except I’m allowed to, and she’s not. Ha.

• Reply Julie October 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm

What a timely post! I am struggling to find time to preread and I have a Year 3 student and a Year 1 (we’ve never done Year 1 since we started last year with Year 2). I find it even more imperative to pre-read for my Year 3 and while we are already 11 weeks in, it’s never too late to start. Thanks for the little push. I can indeed do this!

• Reply Hayley October 5, 2015 at 7:36 pm

You’re so right, it’s never too late to start. I did school for a year before I started to pre-read so 11 weeks is getting in early in my estimation!

I would definitely encourage you to pre-read some books of Year 3 for sure. Are you reading aloud all of the books with your Year 1 student? You wouldn’t necessarily need to pre-read, I know Brandy didn’t either. I just didn’t feel I was as good to edit on the fly because my Year 1 student was an advanced reader {even though I read to her} and she was reading along side me. You could even prioritize your list of books to decide which ones to begin with, and then add in as you feel like you’re in a groove. I’m finding with Year 2 it is beneficial for me to pre-read An Island Story so I can note some words and definitions before we get into reading. Pre-reading has so many benefits.

I hope you’ll come back and let us know the difference in a few weeks. I really am grateful I got that nudge to pre-read.

• Reply Leslie October 5, 2015 at 10:17 am

I could relate to every excuse given, including the one about having five kids.
    The timing of this post was perfect. I’ve been feeling the need to pre- read but was also feeling quite overwhelmed. Thank you so much for the timely nudge and encouragement. I can do this!

• Reply Hayley October 5, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Sometimes we just have to get past our excuses, don’t we? And just take a deep breath and do one small thing. I always feel like I have to do “all or nothing” — just little steps at a time. We can always add in when we’re in a groove and not feeling overwhelmed. I’m glad I could nudge you. Do come back and let us know when you begin and what changes you see in your school day!