Other Thoughts

Seven Quick Takes on Son O’s Special Trip, Creating Blank Maps, I Complain, and MORE!

July 8, 2016 by Brandy Vencel

Seven Quick Takes

:: 1 ::

Last week, Siah and O-Age-Seven went on a trip. It was pretty special, my Christmas gift to them, actually. For years and years, we kept thinking that someday we’d have the ability to pay for all of us to go visit Si’s family in the Nashville area. Years passed, the kids got bigger, and never could we pull it off. Si and Son E. took a trip to say farewell to a fading grandparent in Florida. Si and Daughters A. and Q. took a trip for a wedding in Alabama. We kept hoping, but the money was never there for all of us, and somewhere in there I realized that Son O. was getting pretty old to have never made the trip. So last year, I scrimped and saved all year long, and at Christmas I presented them with two plane tickets to Nashville.

O-Age-Seven had never flown before. He had never seen his grandma’s house. This was a monumental trip!

It went great. They had way too much fun, and more importantly they got to reconnected with family.

:: 2 ::

If you are a member of the AO Forum, this link is for you. {It’s a private forum, so if you are not a member, go here to join and then you’ll be able to use the previous link.} Anyhow, the point is, Lynn Hunt shared a hack for using Google Maps to create blank maps for any and every geography lessons. Lemme tell you now, you are going to want to give her a big thank you and a hug for this one! Thanks, Lynn!

:: 3 ::

This week’s links collection, good for me but not for thee edition, consists of one link:

:: 4 ::

This month in 2014:

Beauty%2Bas%2BHome.jpg

One of the first posts I ever wrote for Scholé Sisters, back before it grew up into a podcast. ♥

:: 5 ::

I am working on another top secret project. That’s pretty much all I can say about it, other than that I am excited into a bit of a manic state right now. {As a low-energy mom, that’ll last approximately two more hours…}

:: 6 ::

Truth be told, I thought summer was going to feel a bit more relaxing than it has so far. I’m wishing for a vacation about right now, but since we don’t get those around here, I’m trying to figure out how to make a few days feel like one for me… What do you do to make home feel like a vacation? Maybe I need some ideas.

Or maybe I just need someone to come in and change my towels and bed sheets every day for a week.

Ha!

:: 7 ::

Answering Your Questions:

• Question: Do you have a list of books you’d suggest for reading church history and fathers?
      • Answer: Well, I don’t have an official list I’m working from, but I do know what I already own that I plan to read, if that helps. I’ll put it in the order I plan to do it in. I’m trying to read the books I own before buying some new books, but we’ll see.

• Reply SarahD July 11, 2016 at 4:53 am

We’ve done “staycations” for 2 summers in a row. For me, vacation is not having to cook. ? So we plan time off, discipline ourselves to do nothing terribly task oriented or work related for a few days or up to a week. We plan a day trip or two and eat as simply as possible and then eat out or order in the rest of the time.

And do only the basic chores to keep things clean…same as we would do if we were in a rental home away somewhere.

• Reply Rebecca Beck July 10, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I always love your posts! But you are sounding tired. To tell you the truth I’ve been deworming with cd and I am like an energizer bunny lately. Kids wake up at night and I’m still going strong and joyful! We follow Kerri rivieras protocol, there is a lot of negative stuff about it but truly it has been a Godsend! My other energizer is liver! Can’t live w out my weekly dose, it’s delicious with Carmelized pears and onions;). I would not have even looked at liver ten years ago let alone touched it to cook it! My book on church fathers is in North Dakota w my brother, but it was great. It had the didache, Clement of Rome and ignatius. If u ever want to venture to Montana we have a bunk house on the will James ranch;)

• Reply Juanita July 8, 2016 at 8:29 pm

I find it helps if I’m not running to and fro to make it feel like a vacation. If I can do things other than regular chores, that helps (reading what I want, for example). Or taking the time to actually go on a day trip instead of just thinking about getting away.

• Reply Kansas Mom July 8, 2016 at 7:20 pm

Camping? We went to the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado for about $100 plus gas last summer. (We brought all our food, so it was a cost, but not really more than we would have spent on food at home.) We’re heading to Rocky Mountain National Park soon and our biggest expense will be boarding the dog while we’re gone.

Granted, we have all the gear now, but for Great Sand Dunes we borrowed most of the gear from three different families since we pretty had just a tent at that point.

• Reply Cassie W July 8, 2016 at 9:11 am

Maybe you and a friend can take a turn in helping each other out with a vacation at home. Maybe a friend can come over in the morning and do all your chores for the day and put dinner in the slow cooker for you or bring something that just need to be warmed up. That would leave you and the family with some free time to do whatever. You could in return do the same for your friend when they need a vacation. Of course, you need a really close friend for such a thing. Good luck!

• Reply Jen Snow July 8, 2016 at 8:03 am

Vacation at home? Is that possible? Ha. This week at our house, that’s mostly looked like Mama still being in her pajamas at 11am and mostly ignoring what the children are doing. Nothing has come completely unglued…yet?

I’m not sure that I recommend that solution, though.

• Reply Brandy Vencel July 8, 2016 at 8:33 am

I’m hoping that’s possible because it’s as good as it will get for me! 🙂 I might try your approach if nothing else comes to mind. 😉

• Reply Julie Zilkie July 8, 2016 at 6:33 am

I tried the link to the maps, but it was not working. Thanks!