Other Thoughts

Thoughtworthy

September 30, 2016 by Brandy Vencel

Thoughtworthy

:: 1 ::

You probably noticed that I’ve retitled this Friday feature. I announced it last week, but perhaps you missed it? Anyhow, I love having a new graphic and a bit of a fresh feel. This could be seven thoughts long. But it could be shorter. Or longer! Just think of the possibilities!!

:: 2 ::

I love it when things are brought together effortlessly. We’ve been reading aloud from Sailing on the Ice, which is a sort of sequel to Stories from the Old Squire’s Farm. We love, love, love these books! Last week, we finished a story in which the narrator and his cousin, Addison, discover amethyst and mine it and bring it home. It was described pretty well, I thought, but none of my children remembered what amethyst was!

Fast forward to Saturday and a local museum is having a free admission day, so naturally we went. In the museum’s gift shop, there were collections of minerals for sale. Lo and behold! Amethyst! Both the pretty crystal kind as well as the smoother rock-like version. I couldn’t have planned an object lesson like that. It was totally providential!

As far as the books go, I can’t recommend them enough. Like the Little House on the Prairie series, they give an excellent glimpse into was American culture in Maine was like directly following the Civil War. We laugh at the stories, yes — many of them are quite funny. But I think we’re also learning quite a bit about what families ought to be like.

:: 3 ::

My church had Dr. Ian Hamilton as a guest preacher on Sunday and it was honestly amazing. He preached on Revelation 4, and he started by reminding us that Revelation is the revelation of Jesus Christ, and if we miss Jesus, we miss everything. It reminded me quite a bit of Reversed Thunder, a book that I read and loved a number of years ago. Anyhow, if you want to hear his talk, it’s here: A Throne Above All Thrones.

Dr. Hamilton’s a Scot, which means everything he said sounded more true than if an American had said it. It’s worth listening to, if only for the accent.

Ha.

:: 4 ::

A number of you have recently found me on Facebook.  Thank you for sending me a friend request. I think that is very sweet! But … this is a good time to remind you all that I share an account with my husband, and he sort of frowns on my accepting friend requests from people I don’t really know. So please don’t take it personally! The best way to interact with me on Facebook is using the Afterthoughts page.

:: 5 ::

This month in 2014:

endless%2Bpossibilities.png

The end of a series I wrote on continuing education. I actually can’t believe that was two years ago!

:: 6 ::

This week’s links collection:

:: 7 ::

Those of you who read on mobile devices might want to check on a desktop every once in a while. I say this because this is one of those weeks where I couldn’t begin to share all the links, but I thought they were all pretty interesting. I keep them in the sidebar, so if you’re interested in more of them, that’s where you’d find them.

• Reply Carol October 3, 2016 at 1:13 am

That accent is very familiar to me. He comes from the same place as my mother and her family but my family would say that he was ‘an educated Scot’- he doesn’t sound as broad as the average Glaswegian. I had to laugh about his comment about not mistaking him for an Englishman – a terrible error indeed!

• Reply Cathy October 1, 2016 at 3:09 pm

Oh my goodness, the Why Procrastinators Procrastinate post was just what I needed (and of course my Instant Gratification Monkey led me there, I am supposed to be doing some planning for homeschooling!). I read the next article too, on How to Beat Procrastination and two things occurred to me: 1) We parents also have a ton of distractions which pull us out of the Dark Woods which are like Pop-Ups – our children. 2) Every day when we homeschool (the Dark Woods), we have to lead our children (aka IGMs) to the tipping point. If we can get there, we have a “good” day, but if we don’t make it there together then we have the “bad day” with the Panic Monster screaming at us that we’re getting behind, our children will be failures and we’re responsible etc. So, as homeschooling parents we not only have our own monkey to contend with, but also the monkeys of our children (and let’s face it, depending on their temperaments and ages, we can’t really expect them to be anything other than IGMs). No wonder homeschooling too hard sometimes!

So thanks for the link. I’m going to stop procrastinating now and get back to the Dark Woods (monkey willing).

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 3, 2016 at 7:11 am

I love this, Cathy. Sounds like we all have WAY too many monkey, though! 🙂

• Reply Jen Snow September 30, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Gah. Just this week I have added THREE – THREE I tell you! – books to my list. This week I also resolved NOT to buy anymore books until I read some of the 27 or so on my pile. (And the expense of a little one with a broken arm requiring surgery will probably actually hold me to it…sigh.) It’s some kind of sickness, I tell you. Not that I want a cure for it….

• Reply Cascia Talbert September 30, 2016 at 10:16 am

I love your blog! I just wanted to let you know that we featured you in a list of 100 best Homeschooling blogs. You can find our article at the following link:

We would appreciate it if you shared this with your readers, followers and fans. Have a terrific weekend!

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 1, 2016 at 10:37 am

Aw, thanks! 🙂 I just shared the link on my FB page. 🙂

• Reply Julie Zilkie September 30, 2016 at 8:10 am

Brandy,
    Reading your blog is never good for my book budget. Like I have a book budget. It seems to be the only area in the budget, where I continuously make just one more exception. 🙂 Added two more to my ever growing library today!

• Reply Brandy Vencel September 30, 2016 at 8:26 am

I hear you. I will never be rich because there is always a book I can justify buying. 😉

• Reply Virginia Lee September 30, 2016 at 9:37 am

Hmm. Sounds like you will be rich to me. Just in a different way. 😉

Glad you are keeping the link recommendations. I read the one on Inside Out. Very interesting! I read it because another mom I know was just raving about this movie. I’ve only seen clips of the movie. But I will say one clip I saw showed an imaginary friend dealing with loss. Happiness tried to joke him out of it and have him move on. Sadness just acknowledge that it was sad and then listened. I thought it did a great job portraying how to comfort people in a way that actually helps. I realize the other way has good intentions. But when you’ve lost someone you need time to grieve. So I did feel like that clip had depth. BUT, I also don’t expect Disney or Pixar to do *anything* the article was talking about. I wish, wouldn’t that be wonderful! But I think of those movies more as twaddle. So if you’re going to watch one, you know going in that’s what you’re gonna get. Probably best to keep it limited to a few clips. Ha! =)