Home Education

Possibly Our Simplest DecemberTerm Ever

November 26, 2016 by Brandy Vencel

[dropcap]S[/dropcap]o, I made the plans and checked them twice. I want my high schooler to be present for all of DecemberTerm (this is what I call Circle Time during Advent), but it turns out that’s difficult to accomplish if it takes too long. So I’m trying to keep it to thirty minutes, maybe forty-five will work some days. On Tuesdays, we won’t be able to do our Weekly Loop at all, but the rest of it should fit just fine.

I always share my plans…so here they are:

decemberterm-2016

And here is the list of resources:

Note the mixture of books — Gaarder is more appropriate for older kids while McCaughrean is better for my younger ones. I don’t want to ditch traditions for the younger ones that are important, but we mix in other things to accommodate everyone. This is our third year read The Christmas MysteryThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever, on the other hand, is our new title for the year!

This is my favorite Circle Time of the year, truth be told. I just love it.

A special Circle Time during Advent is a great way to accomplish the goal of Advent, which is to prepare the heart for Christmas.

• Reply Deirdre November 29, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Thank you so much. That is very helpful.

• Reply December Term Plans | humble adoration November 29, 2016 at 1:17 pm

[…] simple December Term plan encouraged me that I wasn’t doing too little. I also borrowed from MacKenzie’s  Advent […]

• Reply Deirdre November 27, 2016 at 5:03 pm

I’m not sure what happened there….anyway, we are also currently reading The Jesse Tree!!

• Reply Deirdre November 27, 2016 at 5:02 pm

Hi Brandy, what Scripture are you reading during this time? Are you co-ordinating it with The Jesse Tree? We are also reading

• Reply Anna November 27, 2016 at 4:53 pm

The Best Christmas Pagent Ever will be our lunch time read-aloud, after we finish Jack and Jill (two chapters left).

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 29, 2016 at 8:46 am

Jack and Jill! Isn’t it lovely? A must-read for homeschoolers, I think. 🙂

• Reply Carol November 27, 2016 at 2:45 pm

We only have a few windows of opportunity this year to do anything together because of end of year commitments everyone is involved in so I chose a short story – The Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyck to do together. I’ve had The Christmas Mystery sitting on the shelf for a while but haven’t got to it yet. Interesting that you’re doing it for the third time – must be good 🙂
    Going to see a live performance of The Messiah in early December – a first, so looking forward to that. Have a wonderful December.

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 29, 2016 at 8:47 am

A live performance of the Messiah! How wonderful! I have always wanted to do that. We’re listening to Messiah in the evenings…that’s something. 🙂

• Reply Ann-Marie November 27, 2016 at 1:37 pm

Wow, this is so funny, Brandy, since we are using almost the same books for Advent MT ourselves 🙂 I purchased The Best Christmas Pageant Ever based on your recommendation and had already scheduled The Jesse Tree and A Christmas Carol! How are you looping the weekly loop? We tend to throw a picture book or two a day in the mix too since we have so many cherished books for this season. It is definitely the time to scale back and enjoy 🙂 I too have always loved your Circle Time pages. They are so lovely! I hope you have a very blessed Advent.

• Reply Catie November 27, 2016 at 9:02 am

Love this!

Maybe you’ve mentioned this before, but what ornaments do you use for The Jesse Tree? 🙂

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 27, 2016 at 9:37 am

We actually made homemade ones — nothing fancy. I think we cut out little Word clip art that fit, colored it, and then “laminated” them with packing tape. We tie them up with string. They were made when my kids were tiny, so they are have scribbled, but I can’t let them go. 🙂

• Reply Catie November 27, 2016 at 9:49 am

Fun! We had some that I found somewhere..?? that I printed on cardstock that the kids could color. Good to know you didn’t do anything fancy either! Takes the pressure off! ;o)

• Reply Katrina November 27, 2016 at 6:38 am

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is so funny! We love reading it each year. There is also The Best School Year Ever (I think that’s the title) that my daughter enjoyed reading as well, just for fun.
    I want my Morning Time page to be as beautiful as yours! Do you make an editable version? 😉

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 27, 2016 at 9:36 am

I have never made an editable form, but I think I will sometime soon! I’ll do it for a “real” Circle Time, though, so it has more slots. 🙂 Good idea!

I have never heard of that second book…I’ll have to look it up. 🙂

• Reply Jequetta Renee Kay November 26, 2016 at 8:52 pm

Did I miss your posting about your normal circle time plans this year?

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 26, 2016 at 8:58 pm