Other Thoughts

Welcome to AfterCast! (Episode 00)

January 3, 2017
[dropcap]T[/dropcap]oday’s the day! Last year, I fell in love with podcasting. (This was no surprise considering that I toyed with a career goal of being in radio when I was in college.) It was not a giant leap for me to decide that one of the special things I could do this year as I begin my twelfth year of blogging was add an audio component. And that’s what AfterCast is — an audio companion to this blog. You’ll have to listen to the episode to get more details than that!

Listen to the episode:

Please Note:

Please leave me a review in your podcast player!

Reviews are so helpful in getting the word out about a podcast. Of course, talking to your friends helps, too.

Want to support the show?

I made the decision to run this show on donations rather than ads. I really wanted a clean-running show without any ad hassle. So basically the show runs on coffee and chocolate, making it much like the blog, Facebook page, and the rest of it. If you want to help support my work, click here.

Want to ask request an episode?

Once you’ve listened to the episode and understand what this podcast will be like, you can use the form below to send me ideas.

[contact-form-7 404 "Not Found"]

• Reply Mariana January 18, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Brandy this is awesome!! I love the podcast idea.???

• Reply Cindy January 12, 2017 at 4:34 am

So excited you are doing a podcast!!! I have loved you blog for so long and now I can just hit play 😉

• Reply Shanna January 5, 2017 at 5:55 pm

So fun Brandy! Music reminds me of Joan Jett.

I am going to second Raquel’s suggestion. I know you won’t let it turn into the Debbie Downer episode? I heard a podcast with Crystal Paine, a homeschool graduate (Money Saving Mom), where she talked about her family having a long period of Grief and Chaos and very little got done in School but they learned about Life. I cried and cried. It was the first time I heard a real homeschool person talk about what really happens in real life when you can’t slap the kids on the bus and do triage on yourself til they get home. We had very bad few years with sibling cancer and death, job changes, money problems, lawsuit from neighbor and move to new home under extreme stress (bad neighbor) -and that’s just the highlights;) All that stress plus stress/guilt about the 4 kids HSing is a whopper. Especially when there is really no one to talk to or even someone to listen to talk ABOUT something like that.

I return to your low energy posts and the comments often when despair is coming to get me and I don’t have anyone who can understand. I have chronic back pain, it’s very boring to have “back pain” so I don’t really go on and on about it. I just ride my roller coaster and try to get wiser about protecting my energy and saving it for my family no matter how it looks from the outside. I am just learning to not be foolish and think looong term, if I decide to do x on one day I have to be honest, x for me could ruin one to two weeks.

You are inspiring Brandy and help keep away the bad voices that say I’m just too pathetic to even HS and should send them off. Sorry this feels so long! Thanks!

• Reply Raquel January 8, 2017 at 8:01 am

Shanna, I second everything you said 🙂 And yes, back pain is boring but “at least it’s not deadly, right?” – yeah, because slow torture is so much better, LoL. A lovely lady once told me that everyone is limited in their motherhood in some way – whether it be financial restrictions that prevent you from giving your kids all the opportunities you want to, or physical limitations, or emotional ones. I try to keep that in mind when I’m down on myself about how I am restricted in lifting/holding/being physical with my son.
      Brandy, I look forward to seeing in which direction you might take this. Thanks so much for cheering us on in your posts and podcasts – it always gives me a boost to hear your cheery voice streaming though my earbuds 🙂

• Reply Tasmanian January 3, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Hooray! Listening straight away!

• Reply Tasmanian January 3, 2017 at 3:06 pm

It’s up on Stitcher already.

• Reply Raquel January 3, 2017 at 8:37 am

I love the jolt of energy from the opening music – kind of reminds me of an updated “Miami Vice””! I will be subscribing as soon as the podcast is available on iTunes. My son is only 16 months old and I plan to homeschool him, but I don’t think I’ll be able to through your 11 years of blog posts by the time we’re ready to start, LoL. So audio blogs work really well for me. Thanks for all your tireless efforts to keep us motivated, Brandy. I also look forward to more low-energy mom posts – as a new mother with long-term chronic back pain, I feel that this area of parenting is sorely neglected. Perhaps an idea for an interview would be with another mom who is coping with chronic pain/illness while still parenting with joy?

• Reply Brandy Vencel January 3, 2017 at 11:44 am

Ooh! I like your interview idea! Thank you. I will be on the lookout for a good person to talk with about this. And the music — isn’t it great? I hadn’t thought about the Miami Vice connection! For me, it reminded me of Lenny Kravitz’ American Woman. 🙂

I actually had thought about doing this podcast six months ago, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it until I found the right music…

• Reply Annie January 7, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I know the perfect homeschooling mama that fits the above criteria – however she’s an eclectic homeschoolers and not solely CM. Anyway- if you’re interested in getting in touch with her give me a shout.

• Reply Raquel January 8, 2017 at 7:20 am

I would love to hear that perspective from any kind of homeschooler 🙂

• Reply Sharron January 3, 2017 at 5:14 am

I can’t wait to listen! Hopefully this afternoon.

• Reply susan in st louis January 3, 2017 at 4:30 am

Will we be able to access this from iTunes? I hope so!

• Reply Brandy Vencel January 3, 2017 at 7:17 am

I checked this morning, and it isn’t on iTunes quite yet even though it has been a while since I submitted it, but I anticipate it going through any day… So yes! 🙂