Other Thoughts

Thoughtworthy (Rabbity Christmas, New Podcast Episode, Being Selfish, and MORE)

November 10, 2017 by Brandy Vencel

Thoughtworthy

:: 1 ::

Apparently, we’re going to have a very rabbity Christmas around here. Many of you know we have a three gifts tradition. One of the three gifts is a book (or books). When I go to the used bookstore, they tend to get a substantial pile. When I buy new, they get only a volume, maybe two. This year, I went with new. After reading through the entire Wingfeather Saga, I wanted “one of everything” from Rabbit Room Press! So, each of my beloveds gets one book:

Beate Not the Poore DeskThe Fiddler’s GunWingfeather TalesHenry and the Chalk Dragon

Isn’t this fun? I’ve never chosen a publisher theme before.

:: 2 ::

The latest AfterCast episode (came out yesterday) was about Charlotte Mason’s first principle:

:: 3 ::

Okay, I never thought I’d touch on this subject, but here we go. I bought The Talk Book to possibly use with one of my daughters. I was dubious; I assumed I’d roll my eyes, pack it away, and never actually use it. Turns out, it’s okay. In fact, I can recommend it. There is a lot of it that I choose to ignore. For example, I don’t use the prepared questions at the end. I don’t always go over all the talking points, either. But I like the verses, the way the whole subject is framed, and it’s very short and to the point.

I’ve been interspersing these lessons with the scheduling of Ourselves, and it all works well in regard to the topic of self-knowledge.

:: 4 ::

We’ve got some secret projects in the works around here … againStay posted! We’ll announce as soon as we can. ♥

:: 5 ::

This month in 2014:

Is it selfish to spend time in group study?

:: 6 ::

This week’s links collection:

• Reply Stephani Jarnigan November 19, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Brandy, I’m wondering if you know of a site or resource that can help me navigate the appropriateness of the modern literary world for my teenage daughter. She’s mowing through the classics at warp speed!

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 20, 2017 at 6:47 am

Goodness! I don’t know for sure! What are you looking for? Book reviews? Or lists of books by age? For the latter, I often start with The 1000 Good Books List.

• Reply Brittany L November 13, 2017 at 2:04 pm

On Thursday I was considering emailing you to bother you about something I heard is coming… then I read this and thought I should probably wait patiently, but please hurry up!! The J in me likes to plan! ?

• Reply Brittany L November 13, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Oops, sorry, I didn’t purposely mean to bug you twice about it. ?

• Reply Brittany L November 13, 2017 at 2:04 pm

On Thursday I was considering emailing you to bother you about something I heard is coming… then I read this and thought I should probably wait patiently, but please hurry up!! ?

• Reply Mama Rachael November 12, 2017 at 6:39 am

::::sigh:::: yes, it’s sad that the ‘breastfeeding’ issue is even an issue. It does not surprise me, however, since sometime around the 1960s, women have been taking over what was traditionally men’s tasks/roles. And we’ve been feminizing men for many years now, so it strikes me as a logical step (but please don’t take me to say that it is logical!) for men to claim this, also.

• Reply Shanna November 12, 2017 at 12:20 am

Ok, read the LLL article. I still haven’t shopped at Target, even though it is probably irrelevant now, but my initial gut reaction was that they scorned me and my daughters. Now that I have watched this all happen it is definitely harming women. I still can’t believe the easy caving in with the young female athletes being beaten by MTF participants in their sport, it is so unjust. Now this. Ugh. It is sad that our terrible attention span and overemotive tendencies as a culture make it impossible to expose the gaping holes in all their arguments. And our fear too?

• Reply Shanna November 12, 2017 at 12:01 am

*Wilderking Trilogy by Jonathan Rogers

• Reply Shanna November 11, 2017 at 11:46 pm

Brandy!! I also filled up a whole wish cart at Rabbit Room after finishing Wingfeather. BUT, you must try Jonathan Rogers if you have’t yet, and I add a caveat-the Audible version, he reads them himself and it is amazing! I pretty much love him now (like, as a wonderful, amazing person love). My children made us start the third one and I am absolutely bereft that it will be over soon. The whole family is listening together and my husband keeps asking, “are there any more books by these guys, they better get on it and write some more books!”

• Reply MacKenzie November 11, 2017 at 10:34 am

The LLL article break my heart. I resigned my position as a LLL leader several years ago over this issue. I could see the writing in the wall and it’s only getting worse but I still mourn the loss of the community I had there and the work I was able to do for fellow moms.

• Reply Tanya Stone November 10, 2017 at 7:40 am

Andrew Peterson writes books? Interesting–I’m only just starting to try out his music. I looked at them on Amazon but I can’t see anything about what age these are for. I have a 7.5 yo who is advanced–he’s reading Understood Betsy on his own for school and Lion, Witch, Wardrobe for fun. He gets excited though and just picked up a Scott O’Dell book about Tyndale, “Return of the Indian” (I read “Indian in the Cupboard” to them last year), and a series by Riordan (don’t recall the name but it’s fantasy, I bought the whole thing at a homeschool book sale). So yes, less than 8 and he has 4 books going at once. 😛 He prefers series–he likes the idea that the fun isn’t over when he finishes a book. Would Wingfeather books be appropriate for his age? Thanks, Brandy!

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 10, 2017 at 10:22 am

I was going to say no, but you said he’s reading Riordan, so I think probably so! It’s pretty violent in some parts (not gratuitous, but evil is definitely evil in this series), so while a couple of my children could have read it at that age, they would have had bad dreams (this was a common problem we had, though). If violence doesn’t bother him, it’s a fantastic and deeply Christian series. I adored it! ♥

• Reply Tanya Stone November 10, 2017 at 10:26 am

When he was 4, his favorite movie to watch when sick was “Avengers “, so no, violence doesn’t scare him lol. But I think I’ll read at least one first. I am intrigued. Thanks!

• Reply Anna November 10, 2017 at 5:15 am

Hmm…I think two of those Rabbit Room books might be coming to us this Christmas, too. 😉

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 10, 2017 at 7:08 am

Great minds, Anna! ♥

• Reply TML November 10, 2017 at 8:02 am

The link about Russia… It’s all a push towards a war with Russia. Propaganda is a great tool to stir up hatred and to justify a war.

• Reply Brandy Vencel November 10, 2017 at 10:24 am

Interesting theory. And I definitely think there is a move in that direction, so perhaps you are right! Hillary Clinton seemed very quick to want to start a war in general, and Trump doesn’t seem much different, though perhaps with different enemies? Hmmm…