Other Thoughts

Thoughtworthy (Special Announcement and MORE Edition!!)

February 16, 2018 by Brandy Vencel

Thoughtworthy

:: 1 ::

Are you ready for the special reveal of my top secret project??? Two versions of one very special new product for the shop:

I’ve been asked numerous times what to do after Start Here. This is my answer to that question. 🙂 Unlike Start Here, though, I created two versions: one for group leaders, and one for group members. ♥

Here’s the Official Facebook Video Announcement (which includes my answer to the question of which version to buy if you’re not in a group and want to study on your own):

:: 2 ::

Yes, yes, today’s is a big announcement. One of the side effects of this project (and a couple others plus the flu in January) is that I’m big time behind on emails. I’ll just apologize now. If your email doesn’t actually need a response, you probably won’t be getting one. But please know that I read every single one! And I consider your thoughts and … well … I’m thankful for you. 🙂

:: 3 ::

I mentioned last week that we (meaning my children) were changing dojos. Oh my word, do I love the new place! It’s been an adjustment, for sure. Goju Ryu karate is a little different from Shotokan karate (which is what they were doing before). But the important thing is that dojo is more disciplined. Example: years ago, Sensei demoted his own son because he was not “honoring the belt.” This is what we were looking for — a place where belt status was taken seriously and respect was required. Another bonus: Sensei works them harder, longer, and he works on the finer details of form. It has only been one week, but it has been sooooo good.

:: 4 ::

I’ve mentioned before that it’s my tradition to buy my children Bibles in the languages they are learning. Usually, I do so when they’ve gotten pretty close to fluency; I see this as a sort of reward for their hard work. But in the case of Koine Greek, it only makes sense to have a Bible right away. After hemming and hawing about this for almost a month, I finally bought E-Age-Fifteen the version that seems best for this stage in the game: A Reader’s Greek New Testament. To say he was excited is an understatement! ♥

:: 5 ::

This month in 2016:

I still have a little long-winded narrator on my hands. ♥ Looks like I’ll be doing this exercises again in the future!

:: 6 ::

This week’s links collection:

• Ohio Argues to Strip Parents’ Custody For Not Accepting Their Child’s Transgenderism from mrctv
      • “Donald Clancy of the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office argued that the parents are simply religious bigots and are therefore unfit to care for their own child. They even, apparently, committed the cardinal sin of seeking Christian therapy for their daughter’s mental illness.”
      • This goes very well with the next article…
    • This Is How Religious Liberty Really Dies from National Review
      • “There is a persistent belief among church-goers that a person should be able to get all the benefits of Christian community without any of the doctrines that make religion unpalatable to modern moral fashion. That’s in essence the mission statement of Mainline Protestantism.”
    • Are Microschools the Next Big Thing? from reason
      • I’m not really into “interdisciplinary project-based learning,” but still it’s intriguing. And naturally, a homeschooler is intrigued by schools that are able to successfully imitate what we do all day.
    • A Box of Food Idea for SNAP from The Common Room
      • “I really don’t care if the food in the box is not to somebody’s personal taste. I know I’m hard nosed about this, but I am saying this as somebody who has used WIC and food stamps and has had family members use them as well, and it’s tough if you don’t like it, it’s not your money. It’s really not. It’s the money your neighbors and friends and and people you don’t even know in other states have worked hard for and had taken from them by the government to give to you. It’s grace. Be grateful and make the best of it instead of having an ugly sense of entitlement.

• Reply Claire March 16, 2018 at 2:47 am

I was wondering how you define/assess ‘nearly fluent’?

• Reply Brandy Vencel March 19, 2018 at 8:45 am

In this particular case, it’d be that I know they’d be close to being able to read it without much assistance. I want the Bible to feel like a reward, not a punishment. 😉

With Koine Greek, for example, there is a core collection of grammar and vocabulary that, once you know it, you can read something like 85% of the NT. Latin is similar.

I have never bought a Bible in a modern language other than English, but I did use this same idea even with English. My children all had access to Bibles from the beginning, but they got their own engraved Bible for their first birthday or Christmas that they began to really take off on reading

• Reply Claire March 20, 2018 at 5:52 pm

Ah, that was what was confusing me. From my own Dutch study, I know it takes a LONG time to reach that level of fluency if you’re not immersed in the language! Personally, I use a Dutch online Bible (simple language – think the equivalent to our CEV or Good News – with audio) to help with my language learning, but, no, I wouldn’t try to force that on my kids. And even after three years of this, I am still only able to read familiar narratives – I can’t read abstract stuff like the epistles. It makes sense that you can essentially teach Greek with the NT in mind and get there a bit quicker.

• Reply Beth Kensinger February 16, 2018 at 11:17 am

Hi! Two things: firstly, I remember that last summer during CMBC I said that I’d possibly be available to help at the booth in Fort Worth next month. Please let me know if you still need help! I’m still a baby CM, and don’t do it exclusively, but I’ve been through the boot camp and know the basics:).

Also, I was just thinking this morning that I ordered a tee from you when you were offering them (in January?) and I was just wondering approximately when to expect it!

Thanks,
    Beth

• Reply Brandy Vencel February 16, 2018 at 12:11 pm

Hi Beth! First, I think we have a big enough team at the booth for now, but maybe next year? If we do it again?

2) I am SO GLAD you said something. You should have already received your order if you only ordered a shirt (bags take longer). I will do some research and figure out what happened and email you.

• Reply Rebecca February 16, 2018 at 9:35 am

I read that National Review article this week- found much of it so true!

As for the thought on Snap (and I didn’t read her post), my issue is that it is more big government handeling of what ought to be a little government (local) issue. Aren’t we more compassionate when we are meeting the needs within our own communities? I also think we are more frugal on a local level as well. To me, this idea just reads like a big money grab of my tax dollars by whoever is going to get a good sized government contract.

And if we ever got to see each other, we could discuss! ? ☕️

• Reply Brandy Vencel February 16, 2018 at 9:50 am

Ooh, I like your thoughts! That is a good point. And I agree: local over federal, any chance we get. I think you should leave a comment over there! I wonder if she’s considered that angle.

I want to see you desperately. We will work it out soon! After I get back from the SD trip. ♥