Home Education

Thoughtworthy (Clean Your Instagram, School Start, and MORE!)

August 10, 2018 by Brandy Vencel

Thoughtworthy

This post contains affiliate links.

:: 1 ::

Do you clean out your Instagram followers? If you have a public account, you really should! I try to do this about once per month. This month I deleted a number of questionable-looking men. I also tend to delete accounts with no profile photo, unless I know who they are. Even though my policy is to never post photos of my children online (their faces, anyhow), I still try to provide this extra layer of protection for our family. You might want to, too.

:: 2 ::

We start school on Monday!!!!!!!!!! Am I ready? Um, I hope so. I’ve cut it close this time — way closer than usual. Last year, I finished a whole week ahead and had a nice break for a week before we started. This year, I’m rolling right into the school year. Not ideal, but not avoidable.

When do you start?

:: 3 ::

Scholé Sisters debuted our second (and final) episode of our special summer season. This one comes in two parts, and OUR part is the SECOND half. It won’t make much sense unless you listen to the first part, which you can find on The Mason Jar Podcast here (or in your favorite podcast player, of course). Once you’ve listened to the first part, THEN jump over to Scholé Sisters and listen to the second!

:: 4 ::

Don’t start thinking you’re podcasted out, because AfterCast has an episode for your earbuds as well! This one is a crossover, which means you can find the whole thing on AfterCast OR on the Charlotte Mason Poetry Podcast.

:: 5 ::

This month in 2015:

It’s that time of year again!

:: 6 ::

This week’s links collection:

• Reply Lauren Scott August 18, 2018 at 4:29 pm

Thanks for the IG reminder. 🙂 I’ve been needing to clear mine out.

Also, I wonder if that note on probiotics would go for drinking kombucha, too? I drink a tiny bit each morning to wash down my vitamins, and I know something isn’t right lately…

• Reply Lucy barr-hamilton August 14, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Thanks for the instagram tip, i have removed and blocked a couple of men with no followers, no pics and who follow lots of people. Worrying that they are there.

• Reply Melissa August 11, 2018 at 11:46 am

What about plain yogurt that has probiotics in it? Do you know if that as problematic?

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 12, 2018 at 8:11 pm

I saw a doctor who commented on this and said that naturally fermented foods were not of the magnitude that this study was looking at — his conclusion was that they were fine and that mankind has always eaten a certain amount of those kinds of foods without negative impact. He believed the negative impact comes from the billions of organisms and so many different kinds — that it is overloading the body somehow. I don’t know if he is right, but it made sense to me!

• Reply Lucy barr-hamilton August 13, 2018 at 1:14 am

Oh I’m glad to hear that since we’re making our own yoghurt at home now, i was worried it was doing us no good!

• Reply Mama Rachael August 10, 2018 at 7:02 pm

We took 9 weeks off in the spring, when its nice to be outside. We got started in June, a week before I’d planned b/c we realized that the extended time off wasn’t good for Little Man. Hubby and I agreed that shorter, more often breaks, might be better and worth trying.

I am always thinking about the screens issue. They are apart of life and we must learn to use them wisely. This was a challenging article, and its got me thinking how to make learning more physical. I think he poo-poos the intellectual side a bit too much, but I can be happy just thinking and talking about stuff all day, so I know I’ve got a strong bias also.

I always enjoy your links! Thanks, Brandy!

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 12, 2018 at 8:09 pm

I know what you mean about being happy thinking and talking all day — I have to work really hard to bring any physical aspects to our learning because they just do NOT come naturally to me! I love the theoretical, so articles like this are always a needed rebuke for me! ♥

• Reply Emily August 10, 2018 at 1:06 pm

The article on probiotics is interesting to me. I’ve only given my children probiotics when they’ve had to take antibiotics for ear infections, strep, etc. My middle child had the weakest immune system his first three years of life, so taking them was a must (based on the color of his stool).

I’ve been struggling with depression and trying to figure out what herbs and supplements I can take until I’m able to visit my doctor again in September to renew my medicine. I’d been taking probiotics along with certain meals to help my system process things better. Now I wonder if it was contributing to my issues…

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 12, 2018 at 8:08 pm

Oh, that’s hard! You know, there is a lot of research on depression being associated with high levels of inflammation in the body — including in the brain. We have been keeping an eye on The Nemechek Protocol to see if it is effective with this. It was invented to treat ADHD and Autism, but many are seeing results beyond that because of its seeming ability to lower inflammation. It might be worth looking at — it’s simple to implement, and if you don’t want to buy the book, you can go to the FB groups for help.

• Reply Amber Vanderpol August 10, 2018 at 10:12 am

We start on Monday too! I’m mostly ready, although there’s a few small loose ends to tie up (hymn/folk song books need updating, need to print copywork, those kind of things) and one bigger chunk (Spanish!! Argh!) that is still not as well planned as it should be.

And with Instagram… I do delete people, but I also wonder how many icky people just grab a nice picture off the internet and use that for their profile pic. But there’s nothing that can be done about that, other than crawling into a hole and not engaging with social media at all. Which at times is an appealing idea!

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 12, 2018 at 8:02 pm

I SO know what you mean! At least with public profiles, we can see what they are posting. One red flag I look at is if private profiles haven’t posted anything at all. I know sometimes that just means it’s a new account, but I figure they can follow again in the future and in the meantime I’ve done what I thought was best…

• Reply Julie Zilkie August 10, 2018 at 8:33 am

Brandy,
    Several years ago, I had someone suggest that regular use of probiotics was not a good thing. I kind of looked at him like he was crazy! I mean everybody was giving themselves and their children probiotics and thinking this was good. As I continued pondering what he shared though, I realized this was not natural and an overload of any kind of bacteria, “good” or not, could not be a good thing. I discontinued my use of them several years ago, but seeing this article, helped me connect all the dots!! Thank you for posting~

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 12, 2018 at 8:01 pm

You’re welcome! We used to take a lot of them years ago when our children were young, and I realize now that we were compounding issues that we were trying to solve. My husband prefers prebiotics to probiotics. These are fibers that feed your natural bacteria.

• Reply Tanya August 10, 2018 at 7:43 am

I’m starting Labor Day. For a long time it was a hang up of mine–“Back in MY day, kids didn’t start school until September!” (insert old man voice). I thought I needed to get over it, especially as we were going further into June each year. So I started third week of August last year. Big. Mistake. Everything went insane from day 1 and didn’t stop until we ended our school year, and we didn’t end up finishing any sooner anyway. So, Labor Day it is! LOL So we go into June–it still gives us two whole months off to enjoy a break. 😀 I know some people have to start when charters do or co-ops or to line up vacations. But we don’t have those issues. Sort of like that great probiotic article you shared–if you don’t have the issues you don’t need the fix. 😀

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 10, 2018 at 7:51 am

Yes! It’s been hard for me to learn to start earlier, but last year my kids (well one of them) NEEDED me to start earlier because life without structure wasn’t working for him. So it’s become a habit and then we take weeks off in the middle. That is one thing I love about homeschooling — each school schedule can be tailored to the family’s needs! ♥