Other Thoughts

Thoughtworthy (A Few of My Favorite Things: Toiletries Edition)

October 11, 2019 by Brandy Vencel

Some of the links in this post are affiliate links.

:: 1 ::

We’ll start today’s fun little roundup with DEODORANT. I know, I know. If you search for aluminum-free, organic-type deodorant, it can be hard to find one you like. We have two we like as a family.

First is Schmidt’s charcoal-magnesium version. This one stands up to difficult things, like karate lessons. There is some sort of scent that can smell strong at first, but wears off quickly. I’ve read that some people are sensitive to this one due to the magnesium, but we found that some of us who had been sensitive in the past did well with this one.

Here’s the deal: Amazon charges quite a bit. You can definitely get it cheaper if you buy it at the grocery store or pharmacy.

Our second choice is Smartypits, which happens to be locally made for us! This one takes a probiotic approach, which I find interesting (also has some baking soda, though I’ve heard they are working on a baking sode-free version). We’ve tried a couple different scents and liked them both. Coconut-Mango is everyone’s favorite so far.

Note: These are kid- and teen-approved, for the record, but my husband and I like them as well.

:: 2 ::

My new favorite toothpaste is Happy Tooth Powder. Over the years I’ve made my own and also spent lots of money so I didn’t have to make my own. I’ve decided I dislike brushing with clays but still prefer powders to paste. I was looking around for ingredients and found that Happy Tooth Powder had literally everything in it I desired, and none of what I didn’t want — plus it was quite a bit cheaper than some of the more popular powders out there.

There are unflavored and flavored versions, as well as xylitol and erythritol options. I use the xylitol unflavored — honestly, it’s a very pleasant taste. They do make a paste, but I haven’t tried it because I like powders so much.

:: 3 ::

I still love my Harry’s razor, a year and a half later. I actually switched everyone in the whole house over. Bye bye, razor burn. My husband uses the heavier metal one (called “The Winston” — it’s made from zinc, I believe) but I prefer the lighter weight one (called “The Truman”). The Truman comes in enough colors that I was able to give each child their own, which was nice because it prevents shower mix-ups and arguments about who left what where.

:: 4 ::

This month in 2018:

I’d forgotten I had the flu last fall. So glad that’s over!

:: 5 ::

I use Curls Blueberry Leave-In Conditioner every time I wash my hair. I do this even when I’m straightening it (gasp!). Turns out, this product is practically perfect in every way (in my opinion). Neither of my girls have curly hair; not even a little. But both of them get hair that looks dry on low-humidity days (common here in October) and adding a bit of this conditioner (without wetting their hair) does the trick.

Last time I went to the beach, I asked my hairdresser what I was doing wrong. Why does my hair look so terrible at the beach? She told me to double the amount of product I used because it was so much more humid there. I did and it worked great!

:: 6 ::

This week’s links collection:

:: 7 ::

Don’t miss the latest from Scholé Sisters:

• Reply Julie Zilkie October 13, 2019 at 6:46 pm

Okay, explain Harry’s to me. How often do you have to replace razors, etc. I have four people of shaving age, and having different colors appeals to me, but each razor is $8, is that correct, and I can’t figure out how the autoship thing works. I really just want to buy a couple of razors. Is that what you do??

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 13, 2019 at 8:41 pm

So with Harry’s, you buy the razor once and then replace the blades. Blade replacement depends upon how often you need to shave. My husband replaces the blade once per month. Most of us go twice that. One of us only needs to replace about every three months.

I set it up so that replacement blades autoship to me. The blades work out to $2 each if you buy 8 at a time. I think I have it delivered every 2-3 months? That sounds about right.

• Reply Valerie October 12, 2019 at 8:03 pm

Thank you!

• Reply Karra Kroeze October 12, 2019 at 2:27 pm

I found a clean company called Pure Haven! Love the products! Deodorant has baking soda and non-baking soda options too. The pricing is reasonable.

• Reply tanea October 12, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Another suggestion for natural deodorant is the Deodorant Cream by Little Seed Farm. They offer two sample packs for free, you just have to pay shipping (I think it’s like $2.99). Also, if you do order, you can add samples to your order to get an idea of the other scents. When I made the switch to natural deodorant, I used Native but found that I would stink by the next morning. I heard about Little Seed Farm deodorant and tried the samples first. I haven’t had any issues at all with the Little Seed Farm deodorant. I really like them a lot! Good luck in your quest!

• Reply tess October 12, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for the heads up on the toothpaste! I’ve had my kids on Apagard (with K2/D3 and BLIS K12/M18 supplements) for the past year, with excellent results, but I’m thrilled that you’ve located a natural version. 🙂 Now I’m going over there to spend some money…

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 12, 2019 at 2:23 pm

Oh wow! I hadn’t heard of Apagard, but in was interesting to look it up and read about it.

• Reply Lucy barr-hamilton October 11, 2019 at 11:07 pm

I have only so far listened to the Schole RDA part but I burst into tears when you were all talking about what hard work it is repairing the ruins because we haven’t had a good education ourselves. It was just so comforting to hear you all say that! We have done the first 6 weeks of the year and are so tired (break week now! ) and I was feeling demoralised until I heard you all say that. So, thank you. We’ll press on.

• Reply Phyllis October 11, 2019 at 10:49 pm

He’s a comedian…who reads Plutarch and talks to Julius Caesar!

• Reply Danielle H October 11, 2019 at 9:00 am

Thanks for the leave in conditioner suggestion! I wanted to comment on the deodorant. I used Schmidt’s non magnesium version for years and then started developing weird rashes all over my arms. I finally figured out it was the deodorant. And their sensitive version just does not do the job. I finally found one I love. It is called Underarmed. I order it on Amazon and yes it is outrageously priced, but I have deemed it totally worth it. I love that it is made by a family in TN. My daughter gets a rash from this one though. It is crazy how individual the deodorants are for each person. My son uses Schmidts Lime still and has been totally fine. Oh, and Target seems to be the most reasonably priced for Schmidts near me. Just thought I would share.

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 11, 2019 at 9:42 am

Thank you! That is really helpful, actually. ♥

• Reply Jody S. October 11, 2019 at 2:27 pm

I recently started using Schmidt’s ( rose+vanilla, and I don’t see magnesium on the ingredients list ), and I haven’t had any problems yet. However, my sister-in-law uses one kind of Schmidt’s and loves it, but she also gets rashes if she uses it too much. I think she rotates deodorants.

• Reply Sara October 12, 2019 at 1:56 pm

Wow, I’m having an “I’m not the only one!” moment over here. Put me in the used-Schmidts-got-rash group. I ve switched (back) to primal pit paste, but will keep these other recommendations in mind for the future. Thanks!

• Reply Valerie October 11, 2019 at 8:35 am

Where’s your post about the cold preventative you like? Like emergen-C, but that wasn’t he one you said you like. I can’t find your post!

• Reply Brandy Vencel October 11, 2019 at 8:58 am

That must have been Cold Calm! We do love it, but I find that if we wait until we’re far into a cold, it doesn’t do much. It seems to work much better at heading colds off, so we take it in the first 24 hours or so of symptoms. My father swears by it!