Other Thoughts

Thoughtworthy (Big Project Unveiled, Recommended Reading & More!)

July 31, 2020 by Brandy Vencel

:: 1 ::

This week, my husband finished a project that was many years in the making!! I read the proof copy and offered some final corrections last week and now … it’s up on Amazon already.

I’m so excited for him. Funny story: the plot of this book started out as a very exciting dream. I still remember him telling us about it at breakfast years ago. The first draft was read aloud to the kids — I remember wondering what kind of person writes their kids a murder mystery??? (In retrospect, I can honestly say that though it is written for adults, I would never hesitate to hand it to my teens.)

Additional bonus: if you ever wondered how government pensions work, you’ll know something about them by the time you’re done.

I’m rather proud of him. ♥

:: 2 ::

I have a reading recommendation for you all. In light of the crazy censorship going on, it pays to think deeply about the issue. It’s been a long time since I have read this (I plan to pull it back out soon), but I highly recommend reading the ultimate book on the subject of censorship, John Milton’s Aeropagitica.

You may not agree with him. I really struggled with the book (probably because my children were young and a certain level of censorship was definitely appropriate at the time). But if you want to see the arguments against censorship, Aeropagitica is for you.

:: 3 ::

The second episode of our short summer season is out from Scholé Sisters today:

It’s always nice to chat with Karen Glass. ♥

:: 4 ::

This month in 2017:

This was the first post in my CM and Gifted Kids series. I only write a couple posts (if that) in the series per year, but they’ve been a valuable exercise and some readers find them helpful, too. 😉

:: 5 ::

Podcast episode of the week:

:: 6 ::

This week’s links collection:

:: 7 ::

Corona reads:

About that hydroxychloroquine…

As far as other topics go …

• Reply Leisa August 25, 2020 at 7:42 am

In regards to the Equality Act, it was passed in May 2019. I’m not sure on all the rules associated with the House and Senate (I should be though), isn’t a bill essentially ‘dead’ if it isn’t passed during that session? It can always be brought back on the table I think, but it has to start over completely. The wording in there is crazy though. The author of the article is correct in that you can drive a freight train through the definition of ‘sex’ as put forth in the bill.

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 25, 2020 at 9:05 am

Well hallelujah that it’s dead for now! I didn’t realize it would have to be redone; that’s a small bit of encouragement yes! ♥

• Reply Laurie August 12, 2020 at 7:12 pm

I have always loved that you use homeopathy. It has been an integral part of our life for over a decade, and it always encourages me when I find another Mom that uses it. It’s honestly something I share with almost no one. There is too much stigma. However, my children, even as young adults, readily open their mouths for the tiny white balls.

I am amused at how the prescribing for the remedies seems to be very willy-nilly. Certainly not looking at the totality of symptoms. In past pandemics there was generally one remedy that stood out as the effective remedy.

I personally am upset that she has put this out there for the general public without listing potencies, educating even a little about homeopathy, or letting them know at least to follow the dosing instructions on the bottles. Homeopathy has already been falsely accused of deaths and our freedom to use it has been threatened. I hope her revelations do not cause backlash.

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 14, 2020 at 12:30 pm

This is a great point — it definitely looks like chasing symptoms (which I’ve done myself in a panic, but definitely not the same as classical homeopathy). I mainly shared it because it was interesting to me that she was using methods on her husband that he is not allowed to talk about in his job — he’d be banned from most social internet if he explained what he did!

• Reply Rondalyn Ohrenberg August 11, 2020 at 3:09 am

I was excited to see that Josiah had published a murder mystery through Amazon, but incredibly disappointed when I hit the link and there is no Kindle version available. Will it be released as an ebook? We’re overseas and will be for awhile (the latest flight cancellations are through March 2021), so ordering “real” books is not an option for us right now. I know nothing about publishing, but I see lots of books available for Kindle that are not available in hard copy, so I was surprised that this book wasn’t released as both. Please post an update if/when it is.

• Reply Brandy Vencel August 11, 2020 at 2:38 pm

He is working on get the Kindle version available but it ended up taking longer than expected. I’ll try to announce it here when it’s ready. ♥

• Reply JoyH July 31, 2020 at 2:30 am

Quinine, from a tree bark, I think, is the older version of hydroxylchloroquine. Quinine, then chloroquinine, and now a hydroxylcholorquine, all commonly used to treat malaria. I read your link a few days ago for that covid protocol and thought it was funny that his wife was giving him something related to the politically incorrect medicine.

• Reply Brandy Vencel July 31, 2020 at 8:44 am

I thought it was funny, too! We aren’t allowed to talk about it, but they can? Or something.

I don’t even know that I take this as evidence that it “worked” for him because the survival rate in his age range with no other complicating factors is very good. But I thought it was incredibly ironic considering our current discussion climate!